Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active with a passive pick up

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassist4christ, Dec 14, 2005.

1. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    I have a project I'm working on and I was wondering one, if you could have active p bass pickups with a passive J bass pickup wired into it. If not can I run the active P bass pups Passive some how? Any help would be great guys.

2. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    No one has any advice on this?

3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    From the emg website:

Do EMG pickups need a battery?

All of the active guitar and bass pickups we make require a battery; the Select models are passive and don't need one. The active pre-amp, located in the pickup housing, is powered by this battery.

Can I mix EMG's with passive pickups?

It is possible to mix EMG's with passive pickups. There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls. The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG's. The passive pickups, however, will work fine. If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative. Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K pots for the passive pickup. This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects, but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG's. The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response.

This is the best alternative. Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this. With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG's. The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone of the passive pickups. You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc. For this application, we recommend ordering the PA-2 without the switch for easy installation on the inside of a guitar.

That website:

http://www.emginc.com/support.asp

I think you need to contact the manufacturer of the active pickup and get recomendations on wiring and pot impedance.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

what is it you're wanting to accomplish?

5. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    Mothign really I'm doing a project, and I have a active EMG P bass pickups, and passive fender jazz pick up

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's possible if you use a preamp, which pretty much kills the point.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I played bass for about a year running stereo out seperate jacks, no onboard controls, ran off amp controls. Over time I dropped to using just a single pickup with no onboard controls. I did mix active and passive pups on occassion and there were no impedence issues as they the pups were essentially seperate. I ran them into seperate channels of the same amp but a common stereo mix was to run the neck pup through a bass amp and bridge pup through a guitar amp.

Otherwise as tim said, you either need something to match impedence or isolate them them through controls and use one or the other. If you knew exactly what variation was needed you could probably just hard wire a resistor into the circuit. Something cheap. Not my area but anybody that knows electronics could answer the question, at least theoretically.