Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active without an onborad EQ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by yor123, Apr 1, 2001.

1. yor123

yor123

Mar 29, 2001
    New Orleans
    I have a Warwick Corvette standard. I love the way this thing feels but the stock passive MEC p/u 's are really noisy. Would there be any advantage to replacing them with active p/u's since there is no onboard preamp. I do use an outboard preamp (Tech 21 sansamp DI as a stomp box). I guess another way of asking this is do active p/u's have any advantage over passive when they are run as passives? If I do not use the active MEC's I'll probably use a humbucking J replacement. Dimarzio's maybe.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Active pickups don't have to be wound as hot as passives, so they preserve a wider range of frequencies due to lower capacitance (less wire). As far as noise is concerned, I think the single coil/hum distinction is more important than the active/passive distinction. Single coil actives can be as susceptible to 60 Hz interference as passives. Humbucking passives can be dead quiet.

Actives may be a reasonable option, assuming that your axe is already fully shielded, grounded, and you use a high-quality preamp. If you haven't checked your shielding and grounding, do that first before you swap PUs.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    "Do active pups have any advantage over pasive when run as passives?"
    Acc to all info I have, active pups will not be run without power supply, that is not in passive mode. Their impedance is way to low to produce a useful signal. If you compensate by tweaking your amp to max, you may hear your bass, but also lots of noise.

MEC has a very good rep. I'd go with Christopher: check the wiring, includin cord and amp, very thourougly, before even considering a pup change.