Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by killemall, Aug 26, 2004.

1. killemall

Aug 26, 2004
    If i buy an active bass, can i still connect it to a passive input on my amp? :confused:
    And if i just pull the battery on an active bass, is it then a passive bass?
    I know i have much to learn :) :crying:
    :bassist: greetz :bassist:
  2. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Some basses that are active have a passive option, if you have an active bass and you yank out the battery, most likely its not going to work, I've never tried it, I use the passive mode on my J-Retro preamps as a fail-safe (in case the battery dies in the middle of a set), I've never ran it WITHOUT the battery completely. You can plug an active bass into the passive input of your amp, should be no problem, an passive bass in the active input MIGHT be a problem, never really figured this one out either.
    Active basses have a battery and a preamp built in mainly, allowing you to tweak the bass/mid/treble on it. Is active better than passive? Thats for you to decide. I LOVE MTD 535s and Sadowskys which are active, but I also LOVE my Fender Roscoe Beck V which is passive.
  3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    the diference between the active and pasive channels is the impedance , i think i read that in activebass newbie articles.

But i think that you better plug the active bass in the active channel if you have it, Its a safer option for me.
  4. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    If you plug an active bass into a passive input, some heads will have a 10 or 15db reducer button (press it). if not, don't turn the volume knob on your bass too high or you might damage the heads circuit.
  5. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Any amp that is damaged by plugging an active bass into the passive-in is faulty. The passive and active inputs are the same, one just has less gain than the other.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Exactly. The only possible bad thing that can happen if you plug an active bass into a passive input is that it will overdrive the preamp and cause clipping. This will not harm your amp. It could be bad for your tweeter, if you are playing at high volume.
  7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    It can also damage your woofer. It all depends on the preamp settings as well as the speaker you are using.

I find that the active input has too low of gain for me. It kills all the dynamics for me, and the tone from the fingers. I always use the passive, even if I use an active bass. I just make sure I'm not pumping more bass than the speaker can handle and at the first sign of clipping, the volume knob goes down. BTW, when I use the passive input with an active bass, I tend to roll the volume knob down to about 70-80%.
  8. killemall

Aug 26, 2004