Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Actual differences between precision humbucker and musicman humbucker?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Mar 20, 2004.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Are there any (noticable) differences between the precision type humbucker and the musicman type humbucker? (Aside from shape) Is there much difference in tone?

2. well, visually speaking, the musicman humbucker has 8 fat pole pieces (2 per string) whereas the fender one has 16 small magnets (4 per string)... also i know musicman humbuckers are wired in parallel, not sure about the fenders

i'm sure they sound different...hopefully someone around here who's heard them both can help out some more ;)

3. 4 per string? I dunno about that thing, its still both have eight but the poles are significantly different.

Musicman: two seperate coils with big fat fat poles, each coil covering all strings.

Precision: two seperate coils, little skinny poles (sometimes rails or just about any really) that are kinda beside each string (like a jazz pup), each coil covering only two (or two and three for a fiver, three and three for a sixer) strings.

Difference in sound? Not the guy to ask, a lot of the sound depends on the position of the pup.

Josh D

4. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Aside the places they are installed, the main difference is that with a P the string vibration is captured from a single spot, while with the MM (with a humbucker configuration) each string is sensed in two different places.

5. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    So how would a musicman pickup in the P position sound? At all closer?

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Not really. Ignoring the whole split dual coil vs dual coil thing, you're still talking about the difference between a humbucker in series (P) and a humbucker in parallel (MM). There's a large difference between series and parallel sounds.

If you were to wire the MM in series mode, you'd get closer.

What are you trying to do?

7. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Just trying to get a more Precision like tone. :)

8. woops i thought he was talking about one of these:

9. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    So how would I go about wiring my MM pup in series mode? I think I've seen a few schematics but I'm not too sure. :confused:

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    What exact model do you have? i.e. Manufacturer&part number

11. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    if you currently have a MM, definately wire a series/parallel switch on it. I recently heard the difference it makes on a Jazz Bass and it was a HUGE difference.

12. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I believe its a mightymite musicman pickup. Uhm... MMFR-4?

13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think it is a bit more complex than that since the P is sensing the string in two different places as it vibrates back and forth. I think this alone would make it hard to mimic a P sound with the MM.

14. That is true, and like I also said, position has a very large effect as well. But by running it in series you'll have it sound closer.

Josh D

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, every mfr is different so it's important.

I don't believe you can wire a Mighty Mite MM pickup in series.

16. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Yeah thats what I figured. :meh: I opened my bass up and couldnt find seperate wires. :(