Actual performance gear?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bass of Spades, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Bass of Spades

Bass of Spades

Oct 20, 2002
    What do you guys run your basses though on gigs? dufus terms would be appreciated as I don't usually understand the abrieviations used here.

Do you guys actually use your rigs/stacks? Do you use the PA or something? I'm competely nieve to the ways of live set-ups but I want to learn.

I think it's really important to know as much as I can about this subject before I make a fool of myself on stage. How much use do y'all think I'll get out of my full stack in the working musician's world? I'm pushing 350W through a 410 and a 112. Oh, and a gt-6b

I'm sure it's different for different venues but just tell me what you do for different situations. The more information and reasoning behind your choices the better as I am a quintet tubist by nature so I'm new to this whole, using equipment to get my sound out.

Please TB, enlighten me to the ways of live sound.

Thanks a million in advance,
  2. depends where you are.... in the best conditions... your setup should ONLY be for stage monitoring....unfourtunatly that isnt always the case.
  3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Smallest bar gig - GK700RBII and an Aguilar GS112

Normal Bar gig - Bag End S15-CUS or Eden D210XLT and GK700RBII

Big bar gig - 2 each Aguilar GS112's OR Music Man HD-212 and GK700RBII OR Sansamp RBI through a QSC PLX2402.

Outside gig (no PA support) - Bag End AND Eden cab fed by a Sansamp RBI through a QSC PLX2402.

Outside gig (with PA support) - Bag End AND Eden cab fed by a Sansamp RBI through a QSC PLX2402 but turned down to a respectable stage volume.

Quiet church Gig - TFB-420 into an Epifani UL110 or a GK700RBII into an Aguilar GS112.

Bigger Church Gig - TFB-420 into an Epifani UL-110 and an Aguilar GS112.

GK700RBII = Gallien Krueger.

TFB-420 = Thunderfunk.

But hey, that's just me with my gear.

There. Are you happy you asked now?

4. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Here's a cool thread about the subject:

If you go into the Amps forum, there is a "sticky" thread near the top that has FAQs all lined up and ready to go. Having been out of the music world for 18 years, I needed to re-educate myself about the different types of amps and setups that people are using today. I learned a lot just from that one thread. Check it out!
  5. I envy you....

So far my Ashdown MAG C210t-300 has handled every gig I've done with ease. The DI out means if its not powerful enough I can put it through the PA
  6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Small club= SWR 750 -8x10 cab

Medium bar= SWR 750- 8x10 cab

Large venue= SWR 750- 8x10 cab

The thing does have a volume knob on it.:D
  7. Kronde

Feb 1, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a couple of bag end s15-d's and a GK 700RB. One of the bag end's is usually plenty for a typical bar gig. We play a couple of rooms that require the second cab and I usually bring the second cab for outdoor gigs. I have been really happy with the bag end equipment. It is real punchy and produces a massive amount of volume/sound for its demure size. On an aside, I can usually do my load-in in a single trip. Bass is over one shoulder, GK head (in GK gig bag) over the other shoulder, Bag End in one hand and case for cords/effects/tools in the other. Also makes for a speedy tear down. Before I began playing out regularly I had a much larger rack mount system and sizeable cabinets...About a year ago I really downsized and have never looked back. Modern cabinets are capable of spectacular sound in a very compact package. There is a band that we have shared bills with and their bass player always insists on using his rig (which is very nice and high $$)...It is a rack mount system with eq's, enhancers, amp, preamp, power conditioner going through a 5 foot cabinet (maybe 8x10 or 6x10)...anyway, to really get that system pumping and sounding good you are basically blowing everyone else out of the water. So I end up throttling that thing down to a reasonable volume, which seems to sap its tone. However, his rig sounds great outdoors...although in my opinion, it is overkill for the typical indoor venues we play and my little rig actually sounds better at lower volumes...and it fits in a small car along with my drummer and his kit. I guess the moral of all this is to just look at the types of venues that you play (or plan to play initially) and get a suitable decent quality rig.
  8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have been considering a second (small) rig for some of the smaller joints. I want to get maybe a 2x10 or maybe a light weight single 12.
  9. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    supposedly at church they mic me and my 300w w/ a 15" cab, but whenever i tap on the mic, no sound comes out. owned.
  10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yeah, I guess I envy me too.

I started out alot of years ago on a Peavey TNT-115S. An Ashdown would have been nice back then!

It's amazing how fast this stuff accumulates if you just buy a decent piece of gear every year or so. There's really no need to try to get it all at once as long as you have something that can do the job in the meantime.

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    small coffee shop or pub: Ampeg BA112
    everthing else: Eden WT600--->SWR Goliath III.........add PA as needed for venue.
  12. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Standard rig, from clubs to stadiums- Roland DB700 bass combo. 250watts, 1-15 w/horn. Has built-in DI to P.A. More than enuff power, and we have a crew so I could use anything I want, I wouldn't be carrying it.
    For radio and TV appearances and other low-volume stuff- Ampeg Rocket Bass 100 bass combo. 100watts, 1-15. I usually run a SABDDI into the front end for some grit and take a DI off that into a P.A. if needed, or sometimes it's mic'ed depending on the soundman.
    In my home studio I use a Marshall BassState 65 bass combo. 65watts, 1-12. Tons of EQ and built-in compressor and limiter. Mic'ed up with a 57, it records VERY well.
  13. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    That's just about .sig-worthy. :)

BawanaRik likes this.
  14. B2R ---> SVT 410HLF for everything. PA on bigger auditorium-ish shows, straight through for house parties and outdoor stuff.
  15. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    One rig for any gig...

SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver DI
    Acoustic Image Focus SA III Power Amp
    Bergantino HT112 Cab
  16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    • GK 700RBII
    • JBL JRX125 cab (2X15s plus a 1"-throat horn)
    Processing (on full-time):
    • Boss NS-2 (noise reduction)
    • Boss CS-3 (compressor)
    • Aphex Xciter
    Processing (as-needed):
    • Boss ODB-3 (distortion)
    • Boss CEB-3 (chorus)
    One reason that I went with the rig that I did - mainly referring to the PA cab - is that if I'm not going through the PA, it sounds like a PA (with less low-low-end than I'd like, admittedly...); if I am going through a PA, I can give the soundguy my POST-feed, and the PA sounds like ME!

To me, a major issue when there isn't a (big-enough) PA available, is DISPERSION. I want everyone (musicians on-stage AND the audience) to hear my full tone. With many bass cabs, it sounds one way on-axis, and then as you move more-and-more off to the side, the sound gets muddier and muddier! I can't stand that; I want everyone to hear what I think they're s'post'a be hearing - what I'M hearing!

...So there.

17. 77 SVT into Ampeg 610hlf. Good for all gigs, save for coffeehouses, in which I'll run an Ashdown 115 combo, or a B-15 (when available).
  18. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
  19. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Spector Euro 5, Schroeder 1212 powered by a Peavey Max 700 for all situations..I don't play any stadium gigs w/o PA support so this covers everything..For bigger shows I have PA support.
  20. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    From what I've been able to gather, your rig really only covers stage sound (when talking about big shows). But when you're playing bars or anything of that sort, your rig is where all the sound is coming from. Based on what I own, I use the same rig for every situation. I find it more important as to how I eq my bass in certain situations to make it sound good.

My rig: Eden 410 XLT -> Gallien Krueger 800RB -> Korg DTR-2 -> Furman Power Conditioner (GK + KORG + Furman = in a rack case). Then that goes to an effects chain that sorta changes every day.

Just take the venue into account and EQ accordingly. Allthough- I would really (I MEAN really) love to get a lighter cab, maybe a schroder. Don't get me wrong- Eden's = godly, but 98 pounds doesn't equate to godlyness.

And lastly- make sure if you're DI'n you have yourself a good DI box or you know how to mic you're amp. I've seen too many bass players mic their amp horribly, sot he sound just sounds.... crappy.