Actual string winding lengths?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ToneRanger, Apr 24, 2005.

1. I'm planning to build an EUB, 1051 mm scale (3/4). I want to make the overall bass as short as possible, with compact headstock and no tailpiece (eg Azola). However there's a lot of extra wound string length, forcing me to keep a long headstock if I don't want the metal wrap to go around the tuners. I've thought of using 1/2 size strings on my 3/4 scale instrument to avoid the extra length.
    So I have two questions:
    - Do you know if there's a standard wound length for strings (eg, from ball end to start of cotton wrap)?
    - Are 1/2 size strings different from 3/4 in any way other than length?
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    That's of course the ideal condition, but you can get the metal wrap around the peg, as long as the wraps don't overlap.
    I have used regular DB strings with my BugBass, and now with my Carruthers, with no problem.
    AFAIK, there's no standard.
    Some makers sell 3/4 scale strings that are longer or shorter than other makers.
    As for your second question: I can tell you that Flexocor 1/2 size strings are exactly the same as the regulars. I measured them, and it was confirmed by their technical manager. Only the lenght is different. (and they of course fit better than regulars!)
    I can't tell for other brands though!
    1/2 size bass strings are not very common.
    Besides Flexocors, they are available in Spirocores, Superflexibles, Helicores, Corellis, Red Labels, and maybe a few others.
    But you may need to special order them!

3. Thanks for your help. Another question - will the strings wrap around small diameter posts like the compact Schaller/Gotoh BG ones, or do I need to stay with ;arger ones?
  4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I'd choose the larger ones, if possible.