1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Request Actually... Notation Q: Repeats

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by toothpicktower, Nov 14, 2018.

1. toothpicktower

toothpicktower

Sep 26, 2018
    I hope it's OK if I post this question in this forum. It's a question concerning musical notation as it relates to repeats.

I am using Guitar Pro to notate bass lines for <ahem> Polka songs! As you may or may not know, Polkas do a lot of repeats. For instance one song I'm working on has a 16 bar section "A" followed by another 16 bar section "B". Section A is supposed to be played twice, then section B, then you're supposed to play the whole thing thru once. In other words, AABBAB.

Is there anyway good way to notate that, other then to just put some instructions on the sheet that say "AABBAB"?

I tried writing it out with section A and B both in repeat bars and then said DC al Fine at the end but when I let Guitar Pro play it it does the DC al Fine but basically plays the whole thing twice, AABBAABB. That's probably notationally correct but not what I want.

I tried doing a DC al Coda with the Coda jump at the end of section A to go to the start of section B, but then it plays B twice at the end, AABBABB.

So I'm not sure if there is some notationally kosher way to do this short of just writing instructions on the page. Or adding another 16 bars as a C section coda. Ideas?

Cheers! - Ross

2. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Make the Coda just a separate section that is one B with no repeat and jump from the end of the last A to that part.

3. ||: A section :|| to Coda
    ||: B section :|| D.C. al Coda

Coda: B section ||