Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acura Integra or Volkswagon GTI vr6

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jul 31, 2003.

1. GTI vr6

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. Integra LS

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -Assume the Acura LS is a little older, but still in good shape. The GTI vr6 is in immaculate condition. What would you buy and why? Thanks!

2. hmm... im not familiar with the gti (dont even know what it looks like) but i have two friends with an integra (one is a 98 or so and one is a 94 iirc) and they are great little cars. very little...

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    GTI, hands down. (well, I have to say that - and you can't even get an Acura here) :D

4. The vr6 is a great engine. 2vavles per cylinder, so loads and loads of torque and plenty of scope for eventual modding as well. Plus, a Golf has 10x more class.

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I missed the Golf by four hours. :bawl:

6. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Id say keep an eye out for another GTI..there are tons to be found..try http://forums.vwvortex.com ..there are some for sale in there and are in excellent shape.
    I've been driving Vw's since I was old enough to drive. I can fit a full rig, basses, stands and still have a passenger ride comfortably..My first golf (a 90 GL) held an old ampeg V9 cab! Definitely stick with the VR6, though..Its got loads of low end power and great torque.

Im in the process of putting a turbo on mine now :)

Tommy

7. Of the two you listed, GTI.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I have a guy looking at auctions for either a GTI vr6 or a Saab SE HO. Either car would rock, IMO.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Of the two Id buy the Acura because I dont like VW's.
    Add some 20's, a fart can and a top fuel wing and youll be pimpin' in style, yo. :rolleyes: :D

Oh yeah, dont forget the "Type R" sticker.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    No thanks. I think I'll go with the Saab. Looks fairly normal, but has 210 lbs. of torque at 2100 rpm.

11. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Shove a 500 cube Caddy motor in that thing and you could have 550 lbs @ 2800 rpm, and run good on 87 octane gas.

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Touche, but as a daily driver would I get 28 mpg on the highway? ;) I've always wanted to do something like that, when I have the money and time for an extra car.

13. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    The saab is definately a nice car. I was going to get one but I couldn't find the right one, but in that time I learned a lot of good things and heard nothing but good reviews.

Of the other two cars I'd have to say the vw. I could almost keep up with my friends modded integra, and the gti absolutely kicked my behind. Plus all the things that the others have said.

14. Lately I have really taken a liking to the newer GTIs. Just like the shape, and VW's are really nice cars. I'd like to get one of those new special edition ones. Niiiiiice:cool: .

jtbp

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've owned two SAABs, a 900 and a 9000. The 900 was bulletproof, I gave it to my sister at 150K miles and she put another 200K on it. The 9000 was a nightmare.

How's the maintenance on newer ones?

16. Whatever you buy, make sure it has a wing!

:)

17. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    With the right gearing and an overdrive tranny you could get close to 20 mpg. We certainly werent shooting for mileage when we stuffed the Caddy into a 77 Blazer with 44" Swampers.

But, talk about torque.........:eek:

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    The 93 is just a 900 with a newer styling. (a few changes, normal car model year progression, nothing terribly shocking). Things change slowly at Saab. A 95 is a 9000, so I would avoid them until we start seeing some long term numbers.

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Insane Mud Truck! I want something like that somneday. A truck with the kind of suspension where you can have one wheel on top of a 55 gallon drum and the other three touching the ground. Couple that with the type of power your talking about and you can get through anything. ;D

20. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    No. No wing.