Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

acustic basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilfretless, Jan 19, 2003.

1. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    I would like your opinion on acustic basses, I am intentioned in buying one 'cause i like the sound and want to bring it around in the parks or so

2. jim y

jim y

Jan 19, 2003
    Wales UK
    Hi
    My experiences of acoustic basses are not favourable. I think you could get a better sound from a rubber band stretched over a glass jar.
    Sorry to be negative. Someone told me he heard one made by a guitar maker from southern England that sounded good - it had a huge symetric jumbo body. The physics of bass means that the usual short scale standard guitar sized bodies on offer are just not capable of the job - only usable if plugged in which kind of defeats the object. I sometimes play bass at folk music singarounds and get dirty looks from traditionalist when I bring my electric in - I really would like an acoustic that works and doesn't cost the earth. But as far as I've seen - nobody makes one. I don't want my bass sound to be "Dunk - thunk - twonk".

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This one has been discussed many times - do a search for "ABG", and all will be revealed...

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have played a few ABGs at guitar center of various brands. I bought a Rogue ABG from http://www.musiciansfriend.com and then replaced it with an Ovation Celebrity.

Acoustics can sound a bit twangy when amped. I Used to keep the treble control on my Rogue turned to 0 to get a nice ballanced tone. I also just bought some nylon tapewound strings for my ovation so that it can get a more mellow sound.

Other than that, I love being loud enough to practice unamplified. I can even accompany a guitar unamplified, if the guitarist isn't playing too hard.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Search for "Tacoma". :)

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Definately look into Tacoma. One of (if not) the best ABG I have heard/played under $2,000. Make sure you look at the USA MADE models though..big difference between the USA and Asian models in price adn sound.:cool:

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm gonna agree with Jim y. None of the ones I've come across are loud enough to even play along with an acoustic guitar unless you plug it in. They'd need to design them with bigger bodies to make em louder, but they'd look crappy and no-one would buy them. How big? Probably not much smaller than a double bass....

8. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    In the cheap range, I got an Epiphone El Capitan 5 string for $400 new and it plays and sounds beautiful...Well, the low B string bites, but I think that's the actual string and I've never gotten around to changing it yet, since even higher notes on it sound bad and anything down to low E on the next string is fine. I also have steel strings on there instead of the recommended copper/phosphate/whatever standard ABG strings are. The four higher strings sound great, and are loud enough to stand up to a regular acoustic guitar. I've heard that the copper strings are a little louder, too...But I really love the sound I get now. The downsides? The body is pretty big, and the sound gets rattly if you don't fret just right.

All in all, it's well worth the $400 I paid, though.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    From my experience, I disagree.

I regularly play my Tacoma fingerstyle with a picked acoustic guitar and can keep up, no problem. And when I use a felt pick, I can bury him and gain a lot of overhead for tonal variation.

I've found ABGs to be very sensitive to string choice. I've been happy with the LaBella black nylon tapes, but have a set of TI Acousticores I want to try next. I also want to try a set of my favored Fender 9050 flats.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    This will be here tomorrow:

[​IMG]

My first plan is to change to TI acousticore strings. I've got a small enough rig to use when playing with acoustic players (Mesa Walkabout with an EA 1x8) that I am not too concerned about the acoustic volume lost by the low tension of the strings.