Acustic & electric bass differences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Floppy1313, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Floppy1313

Jan 30, 2003
    I am a wannabe electric bass player... with no money for electric bass AND an amplifyer. Nope, I am not going to ask for monetary contributions, if that is what you are thinking... :) The thing is... I have enough money for an acustic bass. So... Do I buy an acustic bass? What are the differences between these two? Are they too different?

In a nut-shell... Can I later just switch from an acustic to electric bass?

I thank You all in advance. :)
  2. I like them both...its mostly your choice i really dont have an honest opinion cause i like them both.

EDIT: Another comment if you get acoustic/electric you can buy an amp later.
  3. well how much money do you have...i'm sure we'll be able to find a deal for you. ;)
  4. I've never actually played an acoustic bass but I've heard they are quite quiet. I'm sure it would be ok for playing around the house but from what I understand you'd still need to plug in to be heard while accompanying even an acoustic guitar.

An electric/acoustic sounds like a good idea to me if you want to go that route.
  5. Hey man, if you have about 250-300 bucks, I think you could buy an electric bass from Rondo Music ( and search Ebay for a small used practice amp. Let us know.

And by the way, it's spelled acoustic. :D
  6. Floppy1313

Jan 30, 2003
    Well... I only have 150 euros. I think that is roughly - 150 bucks.

Another thing... I am in Eastern Europe, so Ebay is outta question. :( I mean... With all the taxes... I pay almost 300% of the price listed... IF the person chooses to ship internationally in the first place. But enough about that...

What do you recommend? Do I go acoustic? (thanks, John... I'm not from an english-speaking country) :D

Ah... one more thing. Please reccomend me some books on how to start playin'... I am an absolute noobie. :oops:

Thank you all... you really have been of great help to me. :)
  7. Nicoli

Good advice.

If you just want to learn and practice in your home, then an acoustic without an amp is fine. However as soon as you play with other instruments you will need an amp. In the long run you might find that buying an electric and then an amp at a later stage is the way to go.

An electric will probably also get you more gigs than an acoustic so would probably be the better investment long term and save you the later trade up.

Just my $0.2cents worth
  8. ditto.
  9. I would get the best electric bass you can afford for the money you have, and save up for the cheapest practice amp you can find (you will want to upgrade it eventually).

Definately go second hand, you could get something almost decent for $150 euro if you search enough.
  10. i second that...