1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

acyryllic basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vindy500, Dec 24, 2005.

1. like see through basses. i found a clear guitar (axl collection series) and i was like dang! are there basses like this?

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Not that I know of.. I don't think it would have great tone though... plastic is different then wood.. it'd be a very harsh sound.. IMHO.

3. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    my buddy had a acrylic Warlock guitar, thing sounded awsome, tons of sustain.

SUPER heavy though, like back breaking

4. Went to GC about a year ago, and the tech was working on a 4 string that was either clear acrylic, or made of glass. It was traditional in style if i remember, not a BC Rich design.

It was in Gwinette GC, near Atlanta, maybe someone here has seen it? Quite a few Atlanta folks around these here forums.

5. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've seen a few before on ebay. No-name make.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    There is a cheaper brand on the ebay, and also there are Dan Armstron ones which are quite pricey, and increasingly rare.

7. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The Dan Armstrong basses were made out of plexiglass (aka bullet proof glass), a very different material to acrylic.

8. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    Well it's been many years since I did chemistry, but I think Plexiglass is just a trade name for an acrylic polymer (as is Lexan, Lucite, Perspex, etc.).

9. theres always quite a few acrylic wesleys on ebay UK. the guy sells them for about £150 i think...

10. The Dan Armstrong basses sound killer but weigh a ton. The lucite is pretty dense, so it actually is a pretty good material to use. Played in a band with a guy who had an original guitar with all the p/u's and it sounded great. Original ones are expensive and e ven the RI's that came out a while ago were big bucks.

11. avenger86

avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    The lucite made Ibanez basses have a pretty nice tone to them. Just note that you would pretty much have to use active electronics...it wouldn't be for the passive-only crowd.

12. Give me brands, i work for a music retailer in new zealand so if you can get them in new zealand i can get them... but i need brands