acyryllic basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vindy500, Dec 24, 2005.

1. like see through basses. i found a clear guitar (axl collection series) and i was like dang! are there basses like this?
  2. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Not that I know of.. I don't think it would have great tone though... plastic is different then wood.. it'd be a very harsh sound.. IMHO.
  3. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    my buddy had a acrylic Warlock guitar, thing sounded awsome, tons of sustain.

SUPER heavy though, like back breaking
  4. Went to GC about a year ago, and the tech was working on a 4 string that was either clear acrylic, or made of glass. It was traditional in style if i remember, not a BC Rich design.

It was in Gwinette GC, near Atlanta, maybe someone here has seen it? Quite a few Atlanta folks around these here forums.
  5. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've seen a few before on ebay. No-name make.
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    There is a cheaper brand on the ebay, and also there are Dan Armstron ones which are quite pricey, and increasingly rare.
  7. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The Dan Armstrong basses were made out of plexiglass (aka bullet proof glass), a very different material to acrylic.
  8. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    Well it's been many years since I did chemistry, but I think Plexiglass is just a trade name for an acrylic polymer (as is Lexan, Lucite, Perspex, etc.).
  9. theres always quite a few acrylic wesleys on ebay UK. the guy sells them for about £150 i think...
  10. The Dan Armstrong basses sound killer but weigh a ton. The lucite is pretty dense, so it actually is a pretty good material to use. Played in a band with a guy who had an original guitar with all the p/u's and it sounded great. Original ones are expensive and e ven the RI's that came out a while ago were big bucks.
  11. avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    The lucite made Ibanez basses have a pretty nice tone to them. Just note that you would pretty much have to use active wouldn't be for the passive-only crowd.
  12. Give me brands, i work for a music retailer in new zealand so if you can get them in new zealand i can get them... but i need brands