1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ADA MB-1 Distortion in a pedal or other preamp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Worldeeeter, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    I used to run an ADA rig with the MB-1 preamp and the B500B 500W bi-amp power amp. I sold the power amp ages ago, and haven't gigged much since then. I kept the MB-1 because of its amazing distortion - solid state "edge" and tube (2 x 12AX7) overdrive. Think "Anesthesia - Pulling Teeth".
    I'm getting a new Mesa Carbine M6 combo amp, which has a 12AX7 tube preamp.
    What are the thoughts on using the MB-1 with this amp? I'm trying to follow the "keep it simple" rule, and I doubt I will make much use of the other MB-1 functions (parametric EQ, compression, chorus), as the Mesa amp shapes the sound nicely, and the MB-1 compression audibly muffles the sound quality.
    Is "stacking" tube preamps a good idea, or at least a "no harm" situation?
    If I discontinue using the MB-1, is there another effects generator / preamp or pedal out there that creates amazing distortion at bass frequencies?

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I also have an MB-1 with the dual transformer mod (supplies more power to the tubes?) that would rock as a distortion device. Can a preamp be used as an effect in a loop? Bump!

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Definitely "no harm". Whether it's a good idea depends on how the results sound to you, which will be different depending on different distortion pedals and tube preamps. There is such a wide range of gain in, volume out, tonal variety, and implementation of the tube(s) in the circuit, among all the various tube devices, that the results of driving or stacking them will be all over the map, from glorious to pathetic. You just gotta experiment. Fortunately, "no harm".
    If you search on the word "distortion" here, you'll discover many, many options.

5. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Good info., bongomania. I didn't think there would be any harm in stacking the tube preamps. I'm going to run the MB-1 through the effects loop of my amp (that was the original plan). Then, after a few days of adjusting levels and comparing sound quality, I'll make the final decision as to whether I want to stay with it, or go to a pedal (or other effects generator).
    Thanks for your help. You have my permission to take the day off work tomorrow. However, you may want to check with your boss first. :bag:

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Bongomania! (thanks for the tips on the compressor pedals too)