Adacab the clerk's nightmare...what a day!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Mar 14, 2002.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I spent a good three hours in Guitar-Villa with my mind made up to get a Crest V1100 power amp and a Demeter preamp. I also knew I would add a cab to give more clarity to my bottom loaded BagEnd S15B-D. They had the 115 and had me try a nice Aguillar 112 co-ax. I had them set up the rig for me and plugged in my Thumb Bolt-on 5.

I wasn't quite getting what I expected from the Pre (very minimal tonal variability) so I had them switch in an Ampeg SVP. For some reason, I got a ton of noise. I had him link another SVP but they ran it through the V650 power amp. I didn't get the humming from this one, but I wasn't satisfied yet.

I tried a used Trace Elliot V-type pre. Very nice though the V650, but I was cutting off the amp when I hit the B string. He ran it now through the V1100 stereo into the 115 and the 112. Nice tone and good clear volume.

I then ran the rig stereo 8ohms at 300 watts/channel through the 115 and a BagEnd D10B-D. That was the sound I wanted. Sweet mids, not harsh or tinny. Butter smoothe and a nice enhancement to the rumble of the deep 115. I switched it over to a bridged set-up. That got me 1100 watts mono. Sweet jumping Moses!!! Awesome.

By this time I was driving the sales clerk up the wall and all potential customers out the door with the noise.

I had one more thing to do. I hooked up the two cabs to my HA3500 Hartke head just for comparison sake. Hmmm, turn it up a bit. Wowsers. This is great. This head is fine. The 350 watts that it supposedly is rated for started to show for once. It cranked. It didn't fart out and gave me all the volume I could use.

I bought the D10B-D and a CryBaby ( always wanted one). I told them I'd have to come back for the rest of the rig. Right now, I'm not sure if I don't have all the volume and power I need. I'll have to try it out live, and if it does the trick, I'll keep the Hartke.