Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adam Clayton and his New Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by turnuptheBASS, Apr 2, 2005.

1. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    Heres a shot of Adam Clayton of U2 from the Vertigo tour which just started. This not a thread on his skills as a bass player but a picture with him and his Lakland Daryl Jones with BLACK BLOCKS....... :eek: G.A.S.!!!

[​IMG]

I want one of those! :cool:

2. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
  3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    why yes it is...

but really digging that custom, non standard '70s look. :cool:

4. is it just me or does he look computer animated in that picture?

oh, and btw... GAS!

5. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    Sorry to say, it's a Joe Osborn Sig. He also uses the Bob Glaub Sig as well. And all you Ibanez bashers will enjoy the fact he uses a Ibanez copy of a Gibson EB-3. I think only in the studio though since all the times I have seen U2, he's always using his old beat up Fender and the Thunderbird except on the PopMart tour.

It blew my mind to find out the bass he used on the PopMart tour (the big yellow banana) was made by the same German guy that makes Prince's guitars... forget his name though.

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Odd, seeing as Joe Osborn sigs don't look like that.

7. Darryl Jones sigs don't come in that color, the only JO on the Lakland site that has that finish is actually a JO skyline......plus the neck is a custom ad-on so the whole thing is probably a custom build......you think?

8. Maybe an Adam Clayton sig? :eyebrow:

9. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
  10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    can you tell which is which?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. He is, always has been and remains computer animated.

Merely IMHO, needless to say. :D :D :D :D

:bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag:

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    It is definitely and decidedly a Darryl Jones.

Whamonkey, we've gotta Natural/Maple fingerboard DJ at BC right now, so it's available, or at least has been in the past.

The giveaway is the smaller body. I believe that it MAY be a US one, which is slated to show up soon in stores. Someone like Adam Clayton would have access to stuff that is not really available to the general public yet.

13. Gard....I love ya' bro but Lakland lists his as a JO. Doesn't matter to me though....I love my 55-94D ;)

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Lakland Schmakland. The picture says it all. Maybe it's new or on loan to him but the bass on that picture is a DJ. It's ok for him to have both. :smug:

Man, some serious doublethink going on in this thread...

15. That is a REALLY an awesome bass! I wish I could see U2 this year.
    I wanted to go to one of thier Atlanta shows but they sold ouit in like 10 minutes :crying: Maybe next year.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey man! :D I'm still in love with my S55-94 as well, but that doesn't change the fact that that bass is definitely not a JO body, it's a DJ one ;). I'm sure that the Lakland website is just not completely up to date or something along those lines....

17. I believe the Dude mentioned this neck (on his Lakland forum) and said that it was custom-made for Adam Clayton and the only neck Lakland will make with black (ebony!) blocks.

18. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    The curvature of the upper horn and the gentle swoop of the control plate give it away. If he was playing a Bongo and the Lakland site said it was a JO, would you still be arguing? Bottomline--you can't always believe what you read on the internet....

sometimes.it's.wrong.

As far as it being a Skyline versus a USA, I'm sure Clayton rates one-off treatment. That said, it's hard to know b/c the headstock is in shadow. The control plate is also in shadow--I know he's played dual volume/dual tone basses-a al the Fender 62 RI and USA JO. Wonder if that'll be an option someday...

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    +1

Adam saw a Theorem gig and had Dan make hime a copy of my bass:

[​IMG]

20. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    You can also tell by lining up the lower horn with the fretboard and comparing it to the pictures that joker posted. It's definitely a DJ of some kind.

I'm usually not a fan of the DJ body shape, but that one looks hot.