Adam Clayton at the Grammys

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sleestak, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Anyone know what bass he was playing? I caught a not so good look at it during the show, and wondered what model it was and so on.

Tried searching the net and this forum with no luck.

2. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I think it may have been some Lakland version of a Jazz Bass. Not sure.
  3. Fender Jazz bass for sure.
  4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Can't remember which bass he played.
    If it was gold bass, it's a fender with a 70's maple fingerboard neck.
    If it was, natural finish bass, it was a Lakland.
  5. It was a 70's Fender. I zoomed in on the headstock, so Im 100% sure its the Fender.
    The Fender has a white pickguard.
    The Lakland has a black pickguard.
  6. I'm pretty sure it was gold, caught my eye, but was never able to get a better look at it. As usual, the bass player doesn't get enough camera time!

If it was a gold Fender, any idea of year and other specs?

Not that I don't already have a gold SR5!

7. he uses darryl jones american series laklands quite often, it may have been one of those,
  8. Have you read the posts in this thread?! :ninja:

Anyway there was a article in the Bassplayer magazine of january and he told which basses he uses. I guess he has 4 Lakland DJ's and 3 Fender Jazzes.
  9. Nice :)

Have you got a picture of ur gold SR5?
  10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    If the bridge was rectangular, it was a Fender.
    If the bridge was circular, it was the Lakland.

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

He actually spoke! When U2 went up for the award for best album, Clayton actually spoke, and for a while. I was surprised.
  12. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

it looked sunburst to me, but i may have been the lights.
  13. According to the recent BP article, Adam Clayton's Fenders are mid-60's Jazz bodies with 70's block-inlay necks because he likes the way they look and the maple boards are easier to see on dark stages.
  14. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I recorded it on TiVo. It was the gold Fender Jazz. There is one shot in particular where he stands with his right side toward the camera and you can see the bridge clearly which is rectangular, the finish is gold, the pickguard is white and control plate is chrome.
  15. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    True, the first one he played was gold. But I could have sworn that a little later he was playing a sunburst. I've got it on DVR and will check again.
  16. I turned on the telly last night and definately saw him playing a sunburst with block inlays during the performance of "One".