1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adam Duce bass sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nrs7six, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Hi all, does anyone have any idea what gear or how Adam Duce achieves the bass tone on the Machine Head album 'The more things change...'? The tone at the beginning of song 2 'Take my scars' is just amazing! Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Mate, the amount of times I have wondered about this!!

As far as I know, Adam was using a Zon Sonus bass at the time, at least he was live, drop tuned to BEAD. In the 'ten ton hammer' video he is using a Gibson Thunderbird but ti doesn't sound like one of those to me... However, that grit he achieves is just something else... Evil, dirty sound.

I'm surprised he didn't stick with this sound, the generic boomy sound he switched to after this doesn't come close.

3. whoneedstherapy

whoneedstherapy

Oct 26, 2005
    Sydney
    zon + pick + ampeg + Line 6 rackmount pod.

Great tone though, Spine is one of my favourite tracks of all time.

4. Is that true or a guess?
    I suppose we could always try to contact Adam. I emailed Christian from Fear Factory once about his bass gear, he couldn't have been more open and helpful.

5. I recently tech'd for a band that supported Machine Head and Slipknot here in New Zealand. I love Adam's tone too so I was curious. I didn't chat to their bass tech but I had a good nosey at his rig. From what I can tell it was:

Zon > Wireless > Sansamp PSA1 > Ampeg SVT Classic (loop return input)

Pretty simple really. And oh how I coveted his bass's that night, 3 Zon beauties!

6. Argali

Argali Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    I was just listening to this album yesterday and thinking the same thing.