Adam Nitti and Steven Curtis Chapman

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FCM3, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Last evening, i had a chance to see Steven Curtis Chapman (a christian folk singer) and he brought an amazin assortment of musicians w/ him. Besides a monster drummer-who blew everyone off stage. I was surprised to see Adam Nitti as his bassist, considering what i would consider Adams level of bass playing accomplishment. (i know a steady gig is hard to beat).
    However, Mr Nitti did not disappoint. While he didnt do anything flashy, technique-laden or even take a solo. He was the most lyrical bassist I had ever heard. I don't think he once played a rootnote and instead made everyone of these folks songs a lesson in melodic bass playing. He played counterpoints, high end florishes, his bass lines were mini songs w/in the songs. On top of it, he sings too. (actually he sings quite high almost geddy lee like).
    After a few songs i remained focused on his playing and the drummers interactions as the rest of the easy listening stuff was background music.

Lastly, besides playing a blue 5 string (which is a Curbow prototype), he played what looked like a gibson archtop(according to his website its a Kent hollowbody). It sounds like a growly rubberband, but it worked in the context of the music. I was very impressed.

The opening act was mercy me, they sound pretty good. Very easy listenin stuff. What was cool about them was they redid a bunch of Xmas music w/ different themes; "away in a manger" as a country western, a U2-esque "little drummer boy" complete w/ Edge-like digital delay chords(sounded like streets have no name)
  2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah, Adam has had that gig for around a year now. He even moved up near Nashville (from ATL) to be closer to where the tour originated.... plus there's tons of work in that city, too.
  3. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I caught that show in St. Paul and Nitti as mentioned above played his tail off. The drummer's name is Will Denton and I think he's an absolute monster player too. They had such a good solid lock the whole night. Catch them if you can.
  4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    BTW, I believe both of those fellas teach at Music Dojo ( Nitti's courses are very good.