1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adam Nitti | Great Bass Tip - Scales

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by -=DanAtkinson=-, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    wow great vid! i totally forgot about this site, its got a lot of great stuff in it!

adam nitti - video 7, what song is that playing? i know i've heard it 1398 times but i cant remember it!

he seems like a good teacher and i could learn a lot from these videos

2. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Good advice from Adam Nitti, but I disagree with somethings he teaches in his clinic. One of the things is his mindset on 3-notes-per-string, all horizontally-based with no emphasis on position shifts. Shifting positions, especially on a four string, is incredible important when learning scalar patterns. There was a guy who asks a question sometime in that clinic about how to play lowest C to highest C, something everybody should learn, and he doesn't really have anything to say about that and just says "there's no easy way of doing it".

3. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Well, is that true? or is there an easy way of playing low C to high C??

4. russianspy

russianspy

Oct 20, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    He's right, though. There is no easy way. And while playing from the lowest to highest C is useful as it practices fretboard awareness, there is really no practical application for it. How many songs require a 4 octave C scale? What he's showing here is just as useful a way for knowing the fretboard and for actually playing real songs.

5. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    i'm a new bass player, what is a good way to learn this C - to -C fretboard patterns?

6. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007

hahah its a garageband loop! haa i just realized that

7. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Yeah, you're not going to have to play the lowest C to the highest C, but you're DEFINITELY going to have to come up with a method for shifting positions, and his entire method is about staying in one position for every scale. If you're only learning scales in terms of the positions that they occupy, that gives you absolutely no "vertical" thinking, which is especially bad for a four stringer. Upright bass players think vertically all the time, and have a very developed system (Simandl) for facilitating position shifts and fingerings of two-string scales and even one-string scales. You should have a much more fluid understanding of the fretboard rather than thinking of it position-by-position, and by figuring out the many, many fingerings and ways you can get from low C to high C will give you that ability. Once you have that under your fingers, that's the "easy way" to do it, and you should be able to think in terms of that.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It's another approach.

9. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    From a clinician standpoint, Adam saying "there's no easy way of doing it" is a way of sticking to his main point. If he were to break down how to do all of the possible shifting from low c to high....it would eat up too much time. He was demonstrating the movement through a scale using the different modes. I've done a few clinics where somebody asked a question like that....it took up a huge chunk of time/ I could have spent more time talking about things that the majority of the players in the room would benefit from....Sure; they all could benefit from knowing how to do that (c scale from low 1st fret to high 24th), but it wasn't as important & as applicable to what I played & what I was there to teach. Adam has done about a bazillion more clinics than I....he's one heck of an educator/ player/ and an even better person.

10. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    There is so much emphasis among so many bassists on notes per second that (I think) that articulation often gets thrown out the window. How many bassists do you know that can play legato? How many actually do it well? You can't play legato without lots of shifting, and so many bassists fail to practice either one that they sound like machine gunners when they solo...

One of the first things I teach my private students is how to play a single-string major scale using proper shifting. Once they grasp that, they have something to build on both technically and with respect to theory (how a major scale is constructed).

11. My point was simply that I had never thought to play scales starting on the high string, and I realized that I've been approaching my improvisation just as he described: 90% of my walks start at the bottom and move up. His advice helped me break out of that very limited view of the fretboard.

12. leishan

leishan

Aug 11, 2002
    Medina, TN
    Do you know which Garageband loop that it is?