Adamas strings-worth a try!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by winston, Nov 23, 2002.

1. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Haven't seen much about Adamas strings in this forum. I'm trying to find the ultimate strings for my F Bass BN5 and yesterday I bought a set of Adamas medium-light cryogenic nickel strings for $27. I wasn't expecting much-they seem like a pretty obscure brand and they were some of the cheapest strings in the store.

After stringing them up I found that I liked them better than both the stock Labella Super Steps stainless tapercores the D'Addario nickel EX170's that I had tried. They sounded punchier than the LaBellas (which feel stiff, die quickly, and have strange overtones on the B and E) and had better string-to string balance than the D'Addarios. I liked the gritty tone of the D'Addarios a little better but I was very disappointed by the B-very wobbly and indistinct.

The Adamas B sounded much better. I'm interested to see how long these strings last. Cons? The windings above the nut are loose-it looks like the intended design, but I hope they don't unravel. Also, I've heard that the Kaman company is a defense contractor. I'm not sure if this is true but I'd rather not have my music dollar feed the American war machine. Good, cheap strings, though.
  2. :rolleyes:

Kaman does do some defense work, but not a very high dollar value thereof. If you don't want to Feed the War Machine, don't buy an American-branded car, either--the Big Three are all major defense contractors.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    And stop paying your taxes. J/k you shouldn't really stop paying your taxes :p . Actually, the American war machine feeds the defense contractors, not the reverse. I would imagine that a company that does defense work and makes strings prolly makes a lot more on the defense work than on the strings, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.:D