Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adapter available for plugging in 2 XLR cables to one jack?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PolkaHero, May 31, 2004.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I'm playing a wedding in a couple of weeks and want to use my Alesis synth through the church's P.A. for organ sounds. The problem is there is only one XLR jack in front of the church which is being used for the vocalist's mike. Is there an adapter available to connect 2 XLR cables into one? I'm using a direct box to convert the 1/4" cable coming out of my synth to XLR cable. Thanks!

2. You can also make a splitter, or Y cable.........not to be confused with Y cables for computers either!

http://www.studio1productions.com/xlr-mix_pro.htm

[​IMG]

http://www.synthtopia.com/equipment_guide/manufacturers/CBI.html

[​IMG]

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    To put two inputs into one cable, you need a mixer, like the one shown above. You can split a single input into two without the mixer. In your case, you need the mixer. Rolls makes a whole bunch of stuff like that for reasonable prices.

[​IMG]

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not a good idea for inputs due to the potential for impedance mismatching.
    Go with one of the cheap boxes shown to do it right.

5. It might be better to get a radio mic for the vocalist, or run a separate cable for your gear.

The sound person is not going to be happy with two of the most important channels being presented to him/her pre-mixed, with no way of unmixing them. How is he/she going to do EQ?

6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    How does a "radio mic" solve his problem?
    The receiver of the "radio mic" still has to have it's output sent to something.
    His problem is two audio sources, but only one input to the sound system available.
    A "radio mic" is still going to need a system of amplification.
    Setting up a separate system is like buying an Elephant Gun to solve your Ant problem.

Unless you get......Mr. Microphone! :hyper:
    Use with any FM Radio.:hyper:

"Hey Goodlookin', be back to pick ya' up later." :smug:

Seriously, I'm sure if there is another input available somewhere for the "radio mic" option they would have already thought of this (assuming a "radio mic" is even available).

7. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I don't think the church has any wireless mikes. Right now I'm looking to borrow a mixer or PA head. Then I should be able to run a line out to the one XLR input and still be able to adjust both audio signals independently. Thanks for the replies!

8. There is nothing in the original post to suggest that there is only one input to the system: it implies that there is only one cable running from the performance area.

This suggests that there is some sort of mixer & amplifier at the other end, so a hired radio microphone at one end of a church, with a receiver by the mixer, would give full control over the quality of the sound, and would not cost a lot. That is why I still think it is an option worth considering.

I agree that a dedicated vocal PA system would be overkill.