Adapting Carvin neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by nashvillebill, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Here's the deal: I've got a Yamaha RBX 760A 4 string. Nice bass but a 4 string. I'd like to make it into a 5 string, but this is a 24 fret bolt-on neck--the 24th fret goes right up to the end of the neck pocket of the body, so a standard Fender-style neck wouldn't work.

I haven't found any 24 fret necks that are directly bolt-on, but there is this Carvin 24 fret neck for a neck-through:

Suppose I cut the body-portion of this neck off, right at the end of the 24th fret. I'd have to route my neck pocket a tad wider, no problem, and drill the bolt holes accordingly, no, a 24 fret neck the perfect length.

But my concern is the truss rod. Where does the truss rod end on these Carvin necks?? If the truss rod extends into the part I'd be cutting off, big problems!!!!

Anybody familiar with these necks?

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I don't know about the truss rod, but have you looked at the heel? It looks to me that if yo cut this thing at the 24th fret, your not going to have much of a heel to work with. That also means that the neck contour would probably extend into the neck pocket.
  3. Good point, I hadn't looked at the heel. :meh: