Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

add a 2x10, 2x12, or a 4x10, 4 ohm or 8 ohm? - opinions please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by murpbrad, Feb 25, 2005.

1. murpbrad

murpbrad

Dec 1, 2004
    Abilene, TX
    i've got an SWR Super Redhead, which i'm sure everyone knows is 350 watts into the attached 4 ohm 2x10 cab. i would like to get another cab - either another 2x10 or a 2x12 or 4x10. the best thing would be to get another 4 ohm cab to get the full 450 watts out of the amp, but i'm thinking it may be smarter to get an 8 ohm cab just in case i ever have an amp thats only stable down to 4 ohms, that way i'll have room to expand. i would love to go with a pre/power setup and a 4x10, but i'm low on funds so for now it looks like i'll just get an extension cab. what are your opinions or suggestions? thanks

2. murpbrad

murpbrad

Dec 1, 2004
    Abilene, TX
    anyone?

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, you covered a lot of ground there..... and it's hard to offer much of an opinion without knowing what kind of music you play, how loud, etc.....

But if you ultimately want a 4x10, then get a 4x10. And getting a 4-ohm one doesn't necessarily shut down the possibility of future expansion; you'll just have to make sure that that new power amp in your distant future is stable down to 2 ohms....

If you want something closer to a recommendation, we'd need to know budget, music you play, room or club size, et al..... :)

4. murpbrad

murpbrad

Dec 1, 2004
    Abilene, TX
    we play alt. country/country rock type music. usually anywhere from 100 to 500 people, depending on the club. also, my budget is limited so i will either be buying Avatar or buying used, or buying used Avatar. i guess it depends on what kind of deals i can find on used gear.

5. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, you have it spot-on there. Avatar is the nearly-universal recommendation for cabs on a tight budget, and for good reason. There are a few others worth looking at also, such as Dr. Bass.

Timing might be an important consideration here. Do you expect to use this Redhead w/Avatar extension for quite some time (in which case the 4-ohm Avatar would be beneficial), or do you expect to upgrade out of the Redhead in the near future?

For me, that would likely be the main issue - do I buy a 4-ohm Avatar *for the Redhead*, or do I buy an 8-ohm Avatar for a different (only down to 4-ohm) head, soon to arrive.....

6. murpbrad

murpbrad

Dec 1, 2004
    Abilene, TX
    there won't be much of a difference volume-wise between adding a 4 ohm 4x10 (making it 450 watts) or an 8 ohm 4x10 (making it 400 watts). am i right?

so it seems like the 8 ohm version would be the best way to go that way i will be able to add another 8 ohm cab to a different setup in the future.

7. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    You're correct; It probably wouldn't matter than much in terms of volume. Of course the 8-ohm 4x10 would work, and would add volume.

It's a little more complicated than that, though. Your 2x10 in your Redhead is 4 ohms. If you added a 4-ohm cab in parallel, your amp would put out 450W. And because the impedance of the two cabs is equal, they would share the power equally, and each would get 225W.

If you buy the 8-ohm version, while the combo's 2x10 is still 4-ohm, then the "path of least resistance", so to speak, will be the 2x10. So 400W output, yes - but the yeoman's share of that 400W still goes to the 2x10, while the higher-impedance (and more air-moving) 4x10 receives something (considerably) less.

I haven't checked the relative sensitivities of the Redhead cab vs. the Avatar. If the Avatar is more sensitive, this can balance that out somewhat (maybe even make it a non-issue).

I still think it boils down to this: Are you planning around the Redhead (buy 4-ohm), or are you planning around a different power amp (buy 8-ohm)?

8. jamesr

jamesr

Feb 23, 2005
    PA
    Avatar 1x15 neo cab. IMO 2x10 + 1x15 is the best combo you can buy.

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    sent you a pm

10. Redman

Redman

Oct 21, 2002
    Nashville TN
    I have a Super Redhead with a "Son of Bertha" (1x15 and horn) 8ohm cab, and I absolutely love it. Even though SWR rates the amp at 2 ohms max (i.e. 2 4ohm cabs) I'd stick with adding an 8 ohm because of heat build up. At 2.75 ish ohms it heats up quick and my fan seems to run for quite a while after the gig is done. You get 400 watts at 2.75 ohms and the amp really rocks. I wanted some bottom so I went with the "SOB", but an 8ohm 4-10 would probabaly work really well for you. SWR is a great amp. I hope Fender doesn't ruin the quality since they bought them out last year.
    On a side note if its more volume your after I sugest adding a TECH 21 Sans Amp as well. Good luck

11. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    sometimes i run my GS112 with mine. the RedHead doesnt have real strong lows, but i add a sansamp BBDI in front of it in the signal chain and connect the 112...then it really starts to shake rooms.