add a 2x10, 4x10, or 2x12? also, DI or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by murpbrad, Dec 3, 2004.

1. murpbrad

Dec 1, 2004
    Abilene, TX
    i have a peavey TNT 115 combo that is 150 watts at 4 ohms and 200 at 2 ohms. that's definitely not loud enough for very many venues. eventually when i have money i will get a good head or separate preamp and power amp. for now though i am thinking about just getting either a 2x10, a 4x10, or maybe a 2x12 to use as an extension speaker for the TNT. whichever one i get now i will keep to use with whatever amp setup i go with later as well as adding a 1x15 or another 2x10 or something of that sort. which one would be the logical cab to get now to use as an ext. speaker as well as be a main cab later?

also, i'm still having trouble figuring out whether it is better to provide enough volume from just the amp and cabinets to cover the venue or if it is always better to DI to the PA regardless of amp power. if you're going to send a signal to the PA, what exactly is the point of having 800 watts coming from your amp?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I would add a 4ohm 2x10 cab. But geez, you're only getting another 50watts which is basically nothing but with the 2x10, you'll cut through better and with better clarity. As for the DI, yes I would always use a DI with PA support. There is no need for onstage amps to be turned up to 11! If you can't hear yourselves while onstage, you guys are definitely way too loud.
  3. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Second that completely. I put a 2x10 on top of my TNT115 and even though there's only a 50W increase in output, it sounds to me like it wakes up this amp. Alot more articulation, in other words.

The only bugaboo with getting a 4 ohm cab though, is if you decide to get a head in the future, you'll need one stable to down to 2 ohms if you want to add a second cab. Probably better to get an 8 omh cab, that way you can still pair it with, say, another 8 ohm to run a head at 4 ohms (which I think is more common)

Someone else jump in if I'm getting this completely wrong...
  4. murpbrad

Dec 1, 2004
    Abilene, TX
    i understand that i'll only get an extra 50 watts by adding another 4 ohm cab. i think i'll get an 8 ohm either way that way i can add to it later with a different amp. with an 8 ohm and the TNT i will be getting about 180 or so watts at 2.67 ohms right? from everything i've learned, the amount of speakers is more important than watts in this type of low wattage situation. in other words, a 2x10 extension plus the 1x15 internal speaker running at ~180 watts at 2.67 ohms should be quite a bit louder than just the 1x15 at 4 ohms due to the extra air being moved by the added speakers. is that anywhere close to being true? i could be way off.
  5. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Your amp should be sound reinforcement for you and your band onstage and the PA should be for your audience. If your playing a football stadium, the division of sound reibforcement labour is obvious.

Let's say your playing a small venue gig like a local bar. The loudness on stage will probably be loud enough for the venue. In which case you will probably just want to run vocals through your PA.

I have never owned a direct box as;
    1. There is one built into my amplifier (an Ampeg SVT-3)
    2. For every gig I have done at a medium/large venue where the PA is handling sound amplifcation of everyone, the sound system/sound guy has always had his own direct box.

I prefer to use the one in my amp as the propensity for break-down is minimal. The soundguys always want me to use there old , beat up boxes as they know their own equipment. Either way, both of us are looking to simplify the process as much as possible.
  6. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    In all the years I've been playing, I've gone direct and I've miked.

I prefer miking my cab speakers since the tone I'm trying to achieve is better reproduced through my speakers. Yeah, you can go direct, and if it's post EQ, you will get your amp settings at least.

But your amp is only one part of your sound. You set your amp up to sound good through your speakers. If you go direct, you are no longer getting the tone you set up for those speakers.

Of course, if it's pre-EQ, then it's more the sound of your bass...sending a "dry" bass signal to the sound man to play with.

Since I am quite finicky about my tone, and I went to all the trouble to achieve that tone with my amp and cab, I mike, rather than go direct, so the sound man (in my case now, it's me and my guitar player...but I've worked with soundmen alot) gets MY tone to send out to the audience.

As far as your problem. 50 extra watts is nothing...literally. You'd have to at least double your wattage to achieve anything noticable.

If you are noticing an increase in volume, it is just percieved to be louder, possibly because the extra 210 cab is sitting up higher enabling you to hear those speakers...since you have ears on your head, and not on the back of your knees. :)

Also, with 210's you are adding more speaker mass, which would help you to hear it...but the extra 50 watts might as well be one watt in this scenario.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i would say the 8 ohm 2x10 (or any other 8 ohm cabinet that you like would probably be a good way to go if you're going to upgrade later to a more powerful head and 2 cabinets ar what have you. Yes, running your 4 ohm internal speaker and an 8 ohm extension cab will give you a load of 2.67 ohms, so maybe you'll be running at 180-190 watts, with 2/3 of the watts going to the internal 4 ohm speaker, and 1/3 of the watts going to the 8 ohm extension cabinet. I would definitely stack them in some way.
    Now, the big thing is the sensitivity of the tnt, and the extension cabinet. You might want to contact peavey and see whatthe sensitivity of the internal 4 ohm speaker. Ideally, you would want to get an 8 ohm extension cabinet that has a sensitivity of 3 dB higher than what the peavey cabinet. that way, if you've read my ohms faq thread, you should expect about equal volume from both. The real thing to do is take your tnt with you to the store(s) and try aout a bunch of 8 ohm cabinets with the TNT to see what the combination sounds like, and if the extension cabinet is as loud as the peavey, and to see how much of a volume increase you get. with a 2x10 you will almost be doubling your speaker area, so you should get soemwhere between a 3 dB - 6 dB increase in volume. As long as the extension cabinet is sensitive enough, i think you'll be happy with the volume increase for now.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Even though most mid to upper level amps have built in DI's I think it is a good idea for everyone to own a separate DI box because you just never know when a situation may call for one. The built in DI may go bad, the FOH guy doesn't have one, etc. It should be a required item for your gig bag in addition to extra cables, strings and a 30ft-50ft XLR cable and an instrument mic [and vocal mic if you sing as well].
  9. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I just checked the TNT115 specs, and the D.I. is pre EQ. In fact, it looks like it's "pre" everything - a buffered line driver immediately after the input's active/passive dB pad.