1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

add a 4x10 or add a 2x12???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jsingles, Feb 29, 2008.

1. 2x12 cab

28 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. 4x10 cab

34 vote(s)
    54.8%
  1. GREETINGS bass brethren!

The question of the ages: I run a 1x15 cab (a 400rms 8 ohm GKsbx) and I love the lows I get from it. A single 15 does not give me the volume I seek though... and so natural I intend to add more drivers in a second cab. yet.... what configuration will produce the best results??

Here are my thoughts!

2x12: handle more of the lows that i so enjoy.... beefier sounding...
    but will it bring my volume to wear I want it to be?

4x10: more VOLUME which is the entire purpose of me seeking a second cab... tighter sounding...

I use a 500 watt hartke HA5500 for a head, and I have a 2x10 hartke 2.5xl cab which I have decided to sell because
    a)I do not like the tone
    b)it cant handle the deep frequencies I desire (I have to cut 30hz out completely)
    c)It does not push enough AIR, and thus I have this volume crisis.

obviously my main concern is whether or not a 2x12 would give me enough of a volume boost (enough MORE than a 2x10 does) Perhaps I should find a 4x10 that can handle decent lows?

also note that I have no PARTICULAR bran of cabinet in mind at this time.. but feel free to make suggestions!

I might also add that currently I have no band situation, just jam sessions.. So i cannot say what sort of volume I need depending on venue size... But I quest for a rig that will treat me well for years to come no matter where I end up...

I turn to my TB brothers and sisters for opinion! (I realize this is a very general and opinionated topic that has been covered before in various forms, but that hasn't stopped you guys before)

Thank you!:D

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Add another 15 to match what you have.

3. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
    If you like lots of low end...go with the 212 for sure! If you are all about punch go with the 410. Both cabs will complement the 115 well.

4. but can two large drivers come anywhere near the volume of adding several smaller ones? I LOVE low end.. but volume is a problem

5. MattOfSweden

MattOfSweden Playing for time

Feb 2, 2008
    Sweden
    From your sound preferences I'd definitely say add a 212. I played an outdoors gig couple of years back with a lone EBS 212 (4ohm) + Fafner (~400w in 4ohm I think) as backline. It was insanely loud, and I really mean insanely. Sounded real sweet too :)

6. IIRC, the actual surface area of a 2x12" compared to a 4x10" isn't that big of a difference (In fact, "Bass Guitar's" review of Avatar's B410 and B212 found that their 2x12" was actually louder.) My opinion is to go with a 2x12" - I was in somewhat of the same situation, and found that (generally) the 2x12"s I tried came very close to the "punch" of a 4x10" while filling out the low and low-mids extremely nicely. In fact, 2x12"s ended up pushing me away from 15" cabs completely: I believe they fill in the lows just as well but are much more useful as a "all-in-one" cab in terms of one-way speaker cabinets.

As for brands, you might want to start with Avatar Speakers. Great construction at extremely affordable prices, Dave's customer service is second to none, Neodymium speakers keep the weight down to 56 lbs, and and at $319 for their B212 2x12" it's not much to spend for a high-quality cab. Plus, if you find another brand you prefer later on, resale would be easy with the rep they've got. I'm running a 2x12" and 2x10" stack, and couldn't be happier - the only change I'd make if I found I needed more volume would be to add a 4x10"... and go for Line-X coating, as cats and rat fur aren't the best of friends. ;)

7. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts

+1 on the Axatar 212 in line-x. At 500W you should be able to get to ear splitting volumes. Where you like a deeper tone the 212's will be a much better choice then the 410. I had an Ashdown 410 that I sold as it was too sterile sounding for my taste I got an Avatar SB 112 neo which sounds great and is plenty loud enough for me I can easily play medium sized clubs with it and my GK backline 600 (180w@8 ohms IIRC) the only thing I think I would be underpowered for is a larger outdoor gig without PA support. At 500w you should be able to push enough air for almost anything.

Also a big +1 on Avatar's customer service

8. to read :bassist:

9. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    12"s rule. The only thing I don't like about some 2x12"s is that they're mounted diagonally instead of a straight line. I've succumbed to comb-filtering mania and I only like to use cabinets with single drivers or two drivers mounted side by side, then stack them vertically.

10. thanks for such a detailed response guys! I will seriously consider the avatar neo 212 ( I was actually already considering avatar haha )

the poll is pretty amusing, it seems that people are just as torn as I am.

I do enjoy punchiness and I do play a bit of slap, but hell, i dont think slap sounds that bad with just my 15... the 12's will do just fine i suppose..

11. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    Hello,
    I'm liking my 1x12 Wizzy cabs. I don't know of any cabs that will go down to 30hz effectively. Thats below the low B fundamental. That frequency does not cut through in a band setting The second or third harmonic sis what we hear better. If f you push those lows it will tend to get very muddy sounding. Most cabs will start to roll-off somewhere in the 40hz range. But I would vote for the 12's.

12. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    watt about an eden 210XST? they get deep

13. I am definitly thinking im gonna go for the avatar 2x12. the price is right and it seems to be just what I need.

Just gotta sell my hartke 2.5xl first which is a shame cuz its brand new. just not a cab for me

14. it seems that the review of the avatar neo 2x12 claims that it is somehow leaner in the low end than the 4x10 and is also louder.

this sounds totally backwards to me... can I get a testimony from somebody with an avatar 2x12?? what are the distinct qualities of the avatar 2x12 versus the avatar 4x10?

15. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Since that reveiw Avatar has changed the 12"Deltalites to a LF model that goes lower than the older 12s that were in the cabinet they reveiwed.Low end shouldn't be a problem.

16. IMO, a 212 plus a 115 would be a little heavy in the low end. I would go with the Avatar 210. OR, just go with the 212 without the 115. The 210 and 115 combo sounds great. Also, I like the 210 because you can stack it vertically.

17. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    The 410 will be substantially louder where it counts than a 212. I had a Epifani 212 and my 410 just blows it away in lows and highs. IMO and IME 410's that are properly designed have more lows and more mids than a 212. A 212 is nothing more than a 210 with extended lows. The 410 gives you another 3db in the lows and mids. Add the 15 and you have a killer sounding rig.

18. well so the opinions (and the poll haha) are still 50/50.

this is an interesting thread. to say the least...

regardless of what cab I get it MUST handle lows. Avatar cabs seem to deliver just that.

I do not want the 210 because I am selling the 210 I have now. and want to move away from that config to try something else....

the avatar 410 seems like it WOULD be loud and handle lows pretty well, but it is also a 1000 watt cab. Whatever cab i get will only get 250 watts at 8 ohms, and a 1000 watt cab seems Like a bit of overkill to me.

Still not really sure what to believe here.. again it would be nice for somebody who owns these two avatar cabs to chime In and judge their camparison.

19. oh also.. If I did get a 410, how exactly does one send the low end signals to the 15 whilst not sending them to the 410? I know its possible but I am clueless on the matter...

20. lovemybasses

lovemybasses

Mar 4, 2007
    I wouldnt mess with 1x15 4x10 2x12 etc. go for either 2x15 or good 4x10 (or 12') I never had good sound from combining 1x15 with 4 teeners. it has something with tone ranges, frequencies etc - cant explain in english haha! anyway.... it's just mess. it's another story if you do stadiums like flea - in all that noise you can't tell where your head,your ass and your bass are, but for smaller venues,best sound is achieved with equal speakers. 4x12 seems like best solutions (IMO) for what you like - loudness,fatness and definition.