1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Add a Cab, or different cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pure.Fusion, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Dec 12, 2010
    Hi all.

Newbie here (You've been warned!)

Just got my first bass amp for studio practice only.
    Tome Hammer 500 (love it) and got sucked into an ebay auction and won a Markbass NY 604 (4x 6inch).

Now for my purposes the 604 sounds fine, but I don't know if it will cut it for volume.

If I need more, I was thinking about putting a 8Ohm 1x12 underneath itto get the 500w out of my amp and take the load off trhose poor little 6" drivers.

But after reading...
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/mixing-cabs-now-i-get-908210/

... it looks like this could be a gamble.

Can anyone comment on the outcome of adding a 1x12 to this rig, or is it just suck it and see?

FM

2. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    I think you have a pretty good grasp of it for a noob :) And a TH? Dang, good work (love mine).

Only thing I'd say is remember that the TH500's only putting out ~250W into that 8 ohm cab (600W thermal according to the site). So, powerwise, you're pretty well matched up actually, whether you have just the MB cab or the MB + a second 8 ohm.

3. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Dec 12, 2010
    25 years guitar experience. New to bass and certainly new to bass amps.

I though the power handling of the cab should have been ok, but when "at volume" Low b's and pops seem to, well, make it sound like it's going to break.

Thus this post - I'm trying to figure if the extra 1x12 will get me all the freedom i need, or whether I should put the little sucker strait back in ebay and buy something else.

... I certainly don't mind the idea of lifting 15kg (33lb for you folks). If I got another markbass 1 x 12, it's be walking into the studio with a cab under each arm :)

... but then there is the speaker matching thing...

FM

4. You didn't say what your purposes are. I doubt the 4x6 has a future with you all the same.

"Suck it and see" is very likely to sound better than either cab soloed. And very unlikely to sound better than two of either. I have two unmatched cabs that sound good together but it's rare they get used together. They don't sound as good as a PA.

5. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    I own (2) of the MB 604 cabs and I think they are great. I have (2) amps that I rotate depending on size of gig. I use a GB Streamliner 900 when I use both cabs and a GK MB Fusion when I use one. I have been looking at swapping the Fusion for the TH. iMO you should add another 604. I think you will be very surprised at the big full sound they produce. We play a small club (100 people) once every three months that I only use one with no pa support and it does fine. On the other end, we play three outdoor gigs every summer with pa support to which I use both cabs and again they produce a big full sound. Another big plus is transporting them around is as easy as it gets. They do not take up a lot a stage space as well. For me I probably won't be switching cabs anytime soon. Good luck.

How do you like that TH500?

6. 2 12's is a handy rig, any more than that you should have a PA imo.

Beware the low B string. No bass cab can handle the 30Hz if there is no filtering. You must use EQ to reduce the flappy frequencies. There is no tone in them anyway. Bass cabs are routinely blown up with low E and the low end boosted on the EQ.

7. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Dec 12, 2010
    "Studio practice only"

I only have to compete with the drummer. Practicing material to record.

FM

8. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Dec 12, 2010
    Thanks dude.

TH500 .. is... awesome. ON the day it came down to walking out of the shop with the TH500 or the Markbass Tube 500. I could have taken either ( I liked them both ) but I'm certainly not regretting the purchase.

Just afraid to pop or mistakenly over play that low B...

FM

9. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Dec 12, 2010
    Bingo. I'd really like a cab setup where I don't have to beware. And (although untested with the drummer yet) I think I need more than the 604.

FM

10. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    Sounds like a good choice. I would have made the same choice. Have fun with it.

11. You'll be carrying some massive cabs about if you want to do 30Hz, a whole vanful. Truth is you don't need it. Set eq and carry on, it's not a constant vigil.

12. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Dec 12, 2010
    It's newbie time aqgain.

If I wanted to EQ out the heavy stuff at the bottom as suggested above, I'm assuming that this is beyond the capability of the 'bass' knob on my Tone Hammer 500 and or bass? (Ibanez BTB676, passive pickup, active tone)

I need separate EQ?

FM

13. I looked up the amp, its bass knob is centred on 40Hz, midshift takes mids centre as low as 180Hz. It may work to cut bass some and boost mids with eq shift fully left, or it may get honky on you before you can cut enough bass to be useful.

There are oodles of cheap EQ pedals you can use.

Then there is that fDeck HPF high pass filter everyone swears by. That would let you boost bass but cut everything below 50Hz, your cab would sound monsterous. This is more or less how the TC450 gets to sound loud through a 2x10.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The cab going to break sound is likely it running out of excursion on the low notes and loud pops. That's how far the speakers can move back and forth and usually doesn't have much to do with the wattage ratings you see everywhere. The lower frequencies can tax speakers to their limits before you reach the wattage rating.

If you like the tone you have now, another 604 would give you that, just louder, and there'd be more speakers to spread the stress around. That would make those speaker limits further out there, hopefully giving you the output you need before they hit that breaking point.

I don't know all the eq on your TH, but in general, you can roll out a lot of the super deep, 30-40hz subwoofer type bass without losing much if any tone. The speakers can't really produce that stuff anyway but are killing themselves trying to. Can add bass back in an octave higher, meaning 60-80hz, where the speakers can do something with it and get that full deep sound. A lot of sound we hear as fat, thick bass is even higher, like 100-200hz. You need some of the low stuff to keep from sounding thin or empty, but not as much as some might think.

15. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Dec 12, 2010
    Downunderwonder, Will33, awesome info. I thank you.

The more I learn about making bass sounds, the more I realise it's very relevant to frequency/room/position control.

.. or a lot more so than other instruments.

Cheers,
    FM

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yes, different room positions can make the bass overbearing, or suck it all away from the same speaker at the same setting. Has to do with distance to boundries vs. wavelengths/frequencies they affect. Generally, up against walls enhances bass, in corners, even more. Pulling the speaker a few feet out from the boundry will cancel some bass. The floor to ceiling boundry is one you can't do much about. Putting it on a stand or chair can reduce some bass. Try using low mids to fatten the sound instead of low bass.

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I suggest you check out TBr fdeck's HPF that eliminates noise below 35hz and is also adjustable from 35hz to 140hz to help protect your speakers, no matter what cab/bass you're using.

It's been reported that much more volume is achievable once the very low end can be adjusted to reduce speaker movement.

IMO, 500 watts and a couple of vertically stacked 2x12's would cover any pretty much any gig and you'll be able to hear yourself on stage very well. One is fine for smaller gigs (elevate/tilt it it to hear it better). Use the 4x6 for practice/rehearsal. Or sell it. Don't throw your money at it trying to make it do something it can't.:atoz:

18. yep, that one:eyebrow: