1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Add a cab or get a new amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nate Dawg, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Ahhh yes, the eternal quest for more volume. Here's my situation:

I play in a very loud band, and I've noticed that my Fender BXR300R head clips at anything above 6 on the volume knob, even with the built in compressor on. I'm using an 8 ohm Peavey 410TX. Would an 8 ohm 15" extension cab in parallel give me more volume (thus allowing me to turn my head volume down and hopefully reduce clipping) or should I start looking for a more powerful head?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, you'll get more volume.

First you'll get a bit more power out of the head, secondly the increased cone area will increase the efficiency of the system.

It may not be a significant enough increase to satisfy you, but it is always worth trying. See if you can borrow or rent a cab first before buying.

Oh yeah, your Peavey 410TX really scoops out a lot of mids. You can disable the crossover easily to get the mids back and this will make the cabinet a lot louder.

3. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I figured it out. I completely bypassed the crossover for the 10"s, allowing them to be full range. It dramatically improved the sound. I actually had to cut some of the mids on my head. The clipping light on my head doesn't even blink anymore; it used to be on almost constantly. It's almost as if a dam has broken on the power coming out of the head.

Thanks for the idea.