1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Add a cabinet or get a new amp altogether??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Apr 6, 2006.

1. I'm stuck on a decision. I play in a pretty loud rock band and I feel like my amp is maxed-out. If it were a car I'd say it has no "passing power"...it has just barely enough to cut it (and we are without a vocalist at the moment). So I would like to do something about it, but I am on a limited budget.

I have a new Yorkville xm200t (200w, 2x10) combo, and I love the sound with my MIM P bass. I have talked to the shop and I can just barely afford to upgrade it to the larger xs400tc (400w, 2x10) combo or spend a bit less and get the xc115x (300w, 1x15) cabinet to add to my existing combo. Wish I had enough to go for both, but you know how it goes.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Crunka

Crunka

Mar 11, 2006
    Stockton, Ca
    Well I got that combo recently, it's good enough for me right now. The combo is actually about 130W not 200W, read the manual, the min. impendance is 2ohms and the cab is 4ohms. I say get another one. 400W is good, although I've never heard of that combo. Check out some reviews at harmony-central.com.

3. We're in the same boat. I have an Eden CXC 210 combo amp. It's loud but I feel that I need some extra oomph when playing in my band with 2 guitarists and a drummer that like to play loud. Truth is, I like playing loud, too. I'm looking to add a 15" speaker cab to place underneath it. With that configuration, the WT-330 amp in the combo will be pushing over 300 watts. That combined with the extra speaker area moving air, it'll get much louder.

Why a 15" and not another 2-10" cab? A friend has a 2-10" & 1-15" and I really like the full tone that he's getting. By the way, I'm not sorry about purchasing the combo that I have since I like 2-10's better than a single 15 when they are used alone.

Paul Mac

4. I agree with you, PaulMacCnj, the 2x10 combos sound much better when used alone than a 1x15. I know this first hand because I had originally bought the 1x15 version of this amp. It had "zero" defintion and promptly I traded it back in for my current one.

Thanks for the advise, but as you can see the decision is not easy...two responses and two different opinions already!

5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    400 watts into a 210 won't be much, if any louder than 200 watts into a 210.
    What will happen is you'll be a bit clean at the same volume because of the increased headroom. You mentioned "passing power", you moved from a 1.8L 4 cyl into a 2.5L 4 cyl.

Not that big a difference, but even though you doubled the power, it isn't exactly "twice" the power. Far from it actually.

For more volume, and you limited budget, add more speakers.

A 200 watt amp with a 210/115 will be louder than a 400 watt amp with a 210. (all things being equa-same 210 cabl).

Now, you'll get all the tech heads dropping in explaining all these factors that don't matter much. I've played through the amps your talking about, add the 115 and you'll be pleased volume wise.

Keep this in mind: a 210 will only be so loud. No matter what's behind it. It's all about moving air. More speakers=more air moved=more volume for you.
    Yes, more efficiant speakers would be louder blah blah blah......We're talking about Yorkville's here. Not some high tech 210 from a science lab.
    Real world, working mans gear.

Add the 15 bro. Than later add the higher power amp.

6. +1 on all counts...a 15 or another 210 will do the trick.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I agree, add a cab.

How about an Avatar B212 Delta ($299) or better yet, a B212 NEO ($319)? That will get a lot more air moving than a 115 and they are very affordable. IIRC, Dave is has something setup for our brothers to the north to get his products.

8. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

No, my brother lives here in Michigan. Well, he is about 20 min north of me, but I never thought that it would be an issue.

:D

9. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I agree with Mikebass as well. Add the 1x15 extension cab.

I saw an Eden 1x15 cab yesterday used for under 300, I almost bought it even though I didn't need, just for what it was.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    One caveat with a 2x10 & 1x15 setup. You really have to demo the amp and both cab's together. Some combinations pair well. More absolutely suck...

A pair of matched 2x10's (or 1x15's, or ...) gives you the option to split cab's and run 1 behind you and run the other on the other side of the stage. In some room's that is a very real advantage. You can't generally get away with that using mis-matched cab's.

I would be a little concerned about the 200 watt's though. That isn't a whole lot of power.

I also have a take on the number of drivers, size of drivers and relevant volume thing. Up above, it was stated that the difference between 200 & 400 wouldn't be all that much and that adding drivers was the solution. It is one solution but not the only.

In my setup, my head produces 700 watts at 4 ohm, 450 at 8. I run a pair of 4 ohm cabinets in series for an 8 ohm load much of the time. My cab's are reasonably efficient but not the most efficient I've ever used. My rig *seems* louder with 1 cabinet than it does with two... I say seems as I don't have a db meter so I have no empirical evidence. It does really seem that way though.

I like the tonality with 2 cab's as I stack them vertically and it get's one of those 10's up closer to my ear. I hear it better, particullarly in the mid's and that is a lot of what I want to hear on stage. My amp works correspondingly less hard so my rig overall has less stress and strain. I like that. Running a rig near or at it's limits is a good way to experience maintenance costs ... recoining, new transistors, transformers , etc ...

I know - gotta get balance and find the spot where the budget line and the spec sheet cross. Guns or Butter, watts or rent, d's or gas hmmm... (hell, we all get gas.)

11. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Add the cab

Additional speaker surface trumps wattage when it comes to volume.

12. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    The 15" extension would be the best solution based on your situation. It will make a difference.

13. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I just added an 8 ohm 2x10 to my 4 ohm 1x12 Walkabout Scout combo. I continue to be amazed at how good it sounds, and how much louder it is.

Yes, the impedences are mismatched. Yes, I'm running below the minimum load on my amp. But I don't care. It sounds great and IS louder.

Buy the 1x15.

Jason

14. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I agree with most of the responses here, just add a 15" and you should be ok.

15. Thanks for your input everyone. I believe there is going to be a new 1x15" cabinet in the near future...