Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Add a cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zacl, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Hey everyone,

Long story short :

I'm in a band. We play LOUD! My amp is only 160 Watts. I can't crank it becuase my amp can't take it, and shuts off.

I have a Eden 210XLT

If I added aother speaker (15") would I be louder?

Thanks.

2. This is the weakest thread...... goodbye.

:D:D

Merls

3. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I don't think adding another cab to an amp that's already overworked is going to solve your problem. You need more power. The 210XLT is rated at 350W RMS. Get a bigger amp. Then if you still can't get loud enough, add another cab.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'd say try and score about a 400 watt head. That should do nicely for your 2x10 and then leave power to spare for an extension cab later on as well.

brad cook

5. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    depending on your long term plans, you may not want to do this.. but i'll suggest it anyways..

find a relatively inexpensive combo amp w/ 1-15" driver and use it w/ your current setup... (ie: 160W TNT) this would be like buying a powered 15" cabinet but better in the way that you can use your current amp settings to color your 2-10" cabinet (say treble/mids to cut thru) and the combo amp settings to control its own 15" speaker (say low bottom end booom).. sort of what i do and i like my sound a lot.. enough that i havnt bought an entirely new rig which i can BTW afford..

depending on future wants, this may be the most inexpensive way to get the volume you need + more versitility + whenevr you get a bigger rig (ie: more powerful head and another cab) you have a combo amp to practice with and even jam with..

i do BTW think you would get a lot more volume by adding a 15" cab to your current amp, but using a combo is IMO better because you can color each cab differently (or not) + you get more watts...

i was in just about the delemna as you.. i bought a lame BXR60 (only 60watts w/ 1-12" speaker) for $70 in a pawn shop (thats $70 canadian).. it made all the difference in the world... more than all the difference in the world actually!

good luck.