Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Add A D-tuner for sustain?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

A few articles I've read mention using a device such as a fat finger to add sustain to an instrument that's prone to dead spots? Would a Hipshot D-tuner, besides having the obvious benefit of an on-the-fly drop D, add enough weight to the neck to have a noticable impact on sustain? Or is the whole fat finger etc. deal a bunch of balderdash? My '78 P is pretty bad around the 7th fret on the G string so I've been investigating this issue.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hipshot Xtender keys are really lightweight- they won't add more than a few ounces. They add no noticable difference in sustain on my basses whatsoever. They are very handy though.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Only add it to drop D tune. Very are ultra light items

Rob

4. rotero

rotero

Feb 25, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    I just added the BT-3 (Pre-CBS, Kluson Reverse style) to my 60's Jazz and it does the Fat-Finger trick. Dead-spot gone!

Yours would be the BT-2 judging by the date of your bass, which is the second most massive size. Certainly more massive than the "Ultralight" tuners.

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=6

You are essentially installing a double plate behing the headstock with a small cam lever. It does add some weight and I can feel it in the neck balance and the slightly "tighter" feeling neck. I wasn't sure I liked it for the first ten minutes or so, but it won me over with its flawless construction and effectiveness. The sustain bump was icing on the cake, but I had been pondering the Fat-Finger and I am not anymore.

Good luck!

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The main problem with adding weight to the headstock,
    is neck dive. I once had a frettless Fender with dead
    spot issues. I added a brass plate the same shape as
    my headstock on the back of the headstock. It worked
    great other than my headstock did a swan dive for the
    floor every time I stopped holding the neck up.
    I think I'd be looking for a new neck, or a new bass.