Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Add a second cab to my EA cxl-110 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jlsbass, Oct 5, 2003.

1. jlsbass

jlsbass

Aug 8, 2003
    ottawa,ontario
    Hi Y'all,

I have a Clarus amp with an EA 110 ...

I'd like to add a second cab and am currently considering the ACME B-1 ...

Here's my issue ... the B1 is rated for only 90db (at 1 meter) sensitivity ... whereas my EA is rated for 103db at 1m ...

How would these two cabs sound together level wise ? Noting that the clarus is really a single channel output amp without the means to control individual volumes to the respective cabs ... and the cabs don't have overall "level" controls ...

Must I find a cab with the same sensitivity as my EA cxl 110 ??

Thanks alot in advance,
    John.

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    2 CXL-110's is quite an impressive sounding rig. Why take the chance of adding something different that may not sound good. Get a second CXL-110!!:bassist:

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    two cabs with dB's that far apart is going to be disasterous! Considering that I had a bad experience with CXL-110L's I'd recommend you try before you buy.

See "The Rules" below.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Aha, Mcrelly the basher is back. There cannot be an EA post without some bashing by mcrelly. Your agenda has been duly noted in other posts so, please go find all those glorius aggie posts that you can spend your positive energy on. Your negativity is unwanted and unneeded. When someone asks for a recommendationa dn all you can do is bash - be gone with you.

Now the real question is what would be a good 2nd cab to pair with the Cxl 110. I would say that another 110 would be great. The Clarus would be running at about 2 ohms and you would be getting the full power out of it. If you wanted to warm up the sound a bit, try the EA wizzy 112.

Mike

5. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    The Wizzy is 4 ohms and the CXL110 is 8 ohms. Go with CXL110.:bassist:

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why hypocritical - I don't see it? :confused:

As far as I can see - Mike has just stated the facts! ;)

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    :rolleyes:

You have nothing to add to this thread. And, there is nothing hypocritical in Mike's post in the least bit.

As for the original question, I have a CXL-110 paired with an Aguilar GS112, and it sounds great. They are powered by an Ampeg Portabass 250, and they have no problem with that amount of power.

8. jlsbass

jlsbass

Aug 8, 2003
    ottawa,ontario
    Thanks to all,

More on this ...

My second cab would ideally add a bit more bottom that the EA 110 is asking for ... ie the B1 is known for its 31hz tuning and the thought was it would go below the EA ... the aggie gs 112 is ion my short list as well since the 12 may have more complimentary bottom.

btw - wouldn't 2 EA 110 (at 8 ohms each) present a 4 ohm load to my Clarus ?

Cheers,
    Jls.

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I play my 5 string and my VBass through my rig, and I never have any problem with a lack of bottom.

And, yes, two 8 ohm cabs equal a 4 ohm load for the Clarus.

An added bonus with the Aggie is that it looks cool with the EA. ;)

[​IMG]

10. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I don't suggest using cabs that have a big difference in sensitivity. One will sound louder than the other. However, if you bi-amp, it is easier to compensate for the difference.
    I have coupled a CXL110 with a 2nd CXL-110 and an Aggie GS112. Both are very tight sounding combos. The 2nd CXL 110 will add more bass, and still retain the crisp quality of the EA cabs. Keep in mind that two still won't produce the ultra-low dub bass thump. But, the lows are tight and the mids and highs are clear and punchy.
    A GS112 is a great complement, and possibly cheaper. This will add much more bass than a second CXL. The tweeter on the Aggie has a sharp sound, as opposed to the smooth sound of a EA Coaxial. For this setup, I turn down the tweeter on the Aggie. There's lots of bass with this setup, and a very nice range of sonic delights. This is a real nice full-range setup. If you Bi-amp, it'll be even better. This is one of my favorite setups. It's like having a palette of multitudes of vibrant colors.

12. I hesitate to get into this, but frankly, I don't see the bashing in this post. And I do see some legitimate contribution. Good advice not to chain cabs that are so far apart in sensitivity. Mentions he had problems with the CxL-110, is this a bash, seems pretty mild? Then he recommends to try before buying, more good advice.

:meh:

Onward and upward:
    jlsbass
    If you like the sound of your speaker but need more bass extension, adding another CxL-110 will have that effect, particularly if they are stacked. A CxL-112 will have even more bass, with a sound that is very close to your 110. Since you are in Ottawa, maybe you can take a road trip to Toronto to ClubBass and try your rig with their stock of EA speakers.

As bassmonkee and jive1 noted, the Cxl-110 pairs well with the fatback, barbeque bass of the GS 112. I've heard bmonk's rig and it sounds very good. Others have paired the Berg 12 with both EA and Aggie 12s and have gotten good results. My own take on the Berg vs the Aggie is that the bottom is not as big, but it is tighter, and the mids are sweeter than any other cabinet I've heard.

Take your time, try as many combinations as you can before buying (or at least get a good return policy). :D

Good luck!

13. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Thanks for the defense JOE!

I don't post negative things about EA because I'm hell-bent to destroy them. Mike hit me like a ton of bricks (flaming me?) in a PM five minutes before he posted the "bashing" post above. Oh, he also said he WASN'T GOING TO FLAME ME?!?!?!

I always try to state the facts of my experiences. sometimes my inexperience, compared to the great Mike Dimin, can come off sounding uninformed.

Freedom of speach on this forum comes in the form of positive and negative comments. Even about the products we love dearly...

bash:
    Informal. To criticize (another) harshly, accusatorially, and threateningly: “He bashed the... government unmercifully over the... spy affair” (Lally Weymouth).

Flame:
    Informal. An insulting criticism or remark meant to incite anger, as on a computer network.

14. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'd have to agree - a difference of 13db is HUGE (10db = twice as loud) and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a stereo head.

Sounds like you're trying to add a speaker which is tuned for more lows. If that's the case, I'd say a ballpark figure would be more like 97db or up, but I can't say for sure. It depends on the cabs...

Also, based solely on what I've heard, a Clarus probably doesn't have enough power to run an Acme effectively.

Did you get your CXL from Club Bass? You should talk to Dave Freeman there about this - he knows his stuff and I'm sure he would be able to help.

15. Although Acmes need a boat load of power to get loud (and are not a good match to chain with any efficient speaker), suprisingly they still sound very good with a low powered amp. They're just quieter.

I'm hurrying the break in of my B2 by using it as stereo speaker, powered by 100 watts to the side. Sounds great!

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    In addition to the other good suggestions here, I will throw out one more. I own some EA gear (though not the CxL-110), as well as some Epifani gear, and I think that the CxL-110 would pair up well with an Epifani T-112. The T-112 has tons of low end, and is very tight, but also has that sweet Epi tweeter. It's primary weakness is a little bit of a dip in the upper midrange, and the CxL-110 would fill that in nicely.

From what you have been saying, I think that the CxL-110 paired up with a T-112 (or a CxL-112) would be a killer setup.

Tom.

17. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Has anyone paired the CXL-110 with a Bag End S15-D?
    These cabs share the same sensitivity rating. Any reviews would be appreciated.

18. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    But he knows what the CXL-110L sounds like - he owns one! The question is what difference having a pair makes.

IME combining two identical cabs can work very well because they gain extra efficiency across the whole spectrum and on top of that you get low frequency acoustic coupling which adds up to 3dB to the lowest frequencies, the boost starting at f=3000/D (where D=the distance between the centre of the drivers) and increasing the lower you go, plus you get the extra power handling.

Alex

19. What units is D in for you equation(inches, feet, metres)? I am interested.

Geoff

20. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    my first response was referring to the B1, of course two cabs that he likes will sound better than one. I prefer the sound of two 10s over one.