Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Add a speaker to combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deepgreensea, Jan 16, 2003.

1. deepgreensea

deepgreensea Guest

Jan 16, 2003
    Mty,Mexico
    Hi,i have a 120 watts with 4 0hm of impedance bass combo and i need more volume.So i was thinking about adding a speaker.Can someone tell me please what kind of speaker/cabinet do i need.Oh yeah,preference a cheap one.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    There is no way to know without more information. For example; my Ampeg combo has a 4 ohm output impedance and a 4 ohm internal speaker, so it can't drive another speaker. I have a Peavey combo with an 8 ohm speaker inside, but capable of driving a 4 ohm load, so I could add an external 8 ohm speaker as well.

What kind of amp are you talking about specifically?

3. deepgreensea

deepgreensea Guest

Jan 16, 2003
    Mty,Mexico
    Thanks for your response.My bass combo is a Behringer Ultrabass 1200.It has 120 watts with 4 0hm load impedance and 1X12 speaker also with 4 ohm impedance.

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Then you can not add another cabinet to your system.

Your amp is already running at 4 Ohms if you were to add another 4 Ohm cabinet, then the amp would go down to 2 Ohms and would probably melt (or something in that general direction).

If I recall correctly, if you add a 8 Ohm cabinet, then the total Ohms would be 2.67 something. Still to low for your amp.

Someone correct my if I´m wrong..

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You're spot on Icez.