1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Add another amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Currently I have the Ampeg B3158 combo. My friend also has it but he is looking to sell his. If I bought it would there be a noticeable volume/sound difference when running the two together? Thank you.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It'll give you an increase in volume of about 3 dB, which isn't that much really.

I'd think you'll fare better with a new head and cab.

3. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    could you please explain why that is?
    i would assume it would be twice as loud...

thanks.

4. Oh...ok. The one amp is fine. I was just wondering if two would be better.

5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    taken from: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/db.html

As the last paragraph says you need 10 times the power to get double volume.

When you double the intensity (power of your amp):

10 log10 [2 I(0)/I(0)] = 10 log10 [2] = 3 dB

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    But with the second combo, you will also double the speaker area, right? Twice the power AND twice the speaker area WILL make a difference!

7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ok, that will add maybe another 3 dB

8. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Plus which, it'll look really cool all stacked up!

:D

9. Hmm...well if for nothing more, then Ill be able to cover more area with sound. If I set one up on one side of a stage and the other on the other side, I'd get more coverage? (I cant think of a better word)

And how would I be able to run both amps at once? Could I get a cable with one plug on one end and 2 on the other end?

10. If you are not using the effects loop, the easiest way to connect them is run a shielded cable from the effects send of amp 1 to the effects return of amp 2. Plug your guitar into amp 1. The controls on preamp 1 will be active and the master and balance controls on both amps will be active. The pre-amp controls on amp 2 should not be active.