Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

add another Eden D112XLT or start over?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by telekaster, Sep 1, 2005.

1. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I have an Eden WT400 and one of their D112XLT cabs. It looks as though I'll be gigging once in a while so I need to either get another D112XLT or start over.

What I do like about the Eden 112 is that it's small and 2 would be very versatile. What I don't like is that with only 1, I'm not getting the kind of low end I want unless I boost it a little on my bass or on the amp. The mids are excellent and have alot of character.

I understand if I get a second D112XLT, then the two would have a "coupling effect" Would this essentially boost my lows while allowing me to set my EQ flat? What do you usually gain when running 2 like cabs as opposed to one? More relative lows? More highs? ...or just more of the same, but louder?

I don't know what to do. I plan to play through some cabs, but I'd like some advice on what to expect by coupling 2 identical cabs.

If I decide to start over, I'm looking at the Schroeder 1212 or 1210. One of those cabs with my WT400 might be ideal for me. It's what I'm leaning toward when I think about it, but and all Eden setup has it's appeal...

BTW I play an active Jazz with Fender Noiseless pickups. The music is rock.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. I've only played the Eden112XLT in a music store setting, so take that into consideration. It struck me as the 'most colored' of any 112 I've ever played... it really had the EdenXLT mid bump to the extreme. That's not good or bad... but I guess my point is, if you are happy with that sound... just add another... as you mentioned the combined two cabs will 'couple' to put out much more bottom and volume, and your 400 will put out its full wattage into the total 4ohm load.

If, on the other hand, you are finding the sound a little too 'mid forward'... there a tons of choices. I obviously like the 1210, since I own one... and it will put out a lot more volume than your single 12, and it's a 4ohm cab (it will also give you that strong mid punch, but in a little more refined way IMO). If you like the Eden sound, but just want some additional volume and a little less mid bump, a 210XLT or especially (IMO) a 210XST in 4ohm version would give you more ooomph than you have now, still be relatively small (although not so light) and maintain the 'best' of the Eden signature sound. There is a certain beauty to combining the same manufacturers heads and cabs.... since they are designed to 'go together' sonically.

As always... more opinions on the way from other TBers... good luck.

3. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    I have the WT-400 and two Epifani T-112 cabs. One cab is OK but when both are used "the sum is greater than the parts". (poetic lisc) Really there is no comparison in the tone when both are used. I had a 210 XST that I liked but it didn't compare with the two T-112's. Now if I had a second 210 XST that may be a different story.
    I can't speak for the Eden 12 cab but if having two of them hooked up works like the Epifani's do I think you will be surprised at the results. I say try a pair out somehow before you start over. I think you can pick a used one up at a decent price. Good luck

4. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    I know of a guy over on the Eden forum who plays with 2 and sometimes 3 D112XLT's ( He has a WT550 that will go to 2ohms ) and he swears by them... As others have said 2 together is better than 1 on it's own by a long shot...

OTOH you could go a 210 with your existing 12... Try a few out, see what talks to you.....

YMMV but I'm now a one eyed Eden guy ( see below )

5. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    damn, I read the eden forums as well. I go by "agent-orange" over there. Reading the forums over there gives me major Eden GAS, so I thought I'd throw out my questions over here to see what non-Edenites might have to say - you know, for a more unbiased pool of opinions. I do think I'd be pretty happy with 2 D112XLT's though.

Nice rig BTW! I think if I had the D212XLT I'd be done, but I'm looking for a modular approach, or a Schroeder because I might get a smaller car and ditch the SUV. That's another issue all together though... After I pay off the truck in '07, who care about gas prices? It'd probably be better than 5 more years of payments on a new car.

6. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Cool....

I agree with the going smaller thing... Lately, depending on how lazy I'm feeling, I generally only take the one cab to most of my shows. Most of the rooms here are pretty small so I've been fine running either of my cabs on their own. It's great being able to walk in with my rack ( Head ) in one hand and the 210XST in the other!!!

Nothing beats the sound of them both together though....

Would be nice if we could get Schroeders over here in Oz.. Would like to hear them someday.

Cheers,

D

7. If you add another identical speaker you gain an extra 3dB in efficiency (equivalent to double the watts), as well as getting more watts from your amp by running into 4 Ohms instead of 8. So I think you'll hear a big difference if you add a 112XLT.

Another option is to swap for a 4 Ohm 210XLT or XST. I bought the XST because it's a smoother hifi sound, although the XLT will sound a bit louder because of its more aggressive mids and low-mid hump.

8. Edenbass

Edenbass

May 20, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    I have two D112XLT with a WT-550. If you like one 112XLT you will love two more than twice. There are no bad effects running two of thim IMHO.
    More low end, more definition, more sound. It´s a great rig.

I also have a 210T. Powerwise it´s a great match with a 112XLT, better than XLT or XST. You would then have a very flexible rig.
    210T´s should be much cheaper to get now, and they sound great.

9. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    Thanks for all the info. I've now got to narrow it down to adding another D112XLT, or selling the one I already have and gettting the D212XLT. I'm pretty sure a 2x12 will fit in any car I get in the future. Decisions decisions...

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I know a guy here who uses the eden 112 and a aguilar 112 for. His amp is a GK1001. (NJL are you there??). I used his combo and the sound was loud and clean. I also used this same combo with my AG500 and it was great.

I previously owned a WT300 and matched it with my two ag112s or a ag112 and epifani, which is actually one of my favorite sounds. I would recommend keeping the the head. The eden is one of the best sounding portable heads and adding another cab such as the aguilar or bergantino (depending what you are looking for). This way you're always portable!!

11. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    If it were me, and I didn't think I'd need to go beyond a 2x12 volume wise I'd get the second cab. You can set a cab on each side of the drummer or make a mini stack and fun stuff like that.

Also you can get a third cab, money permitting, for custom tones. I have a Bag End and Aggie 1x12, one is mid heavy, one bass, and I can add one with my D210T to focus on mids or booty to match a room.

I like what I see of those D112XLT's, they're on my gas list.