1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Add another J or a MM style pickup to a Corvette STD....Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michaelc, Apr 8, 2009.

1. MEC MM style Humbucker with Series/Parallel Switch

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Additional J Pickup closer to bridge with Series/Parallel Switch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Non-MEC MM style replacement

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Keep it like it is

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. michaelc

michaelc

Apr 17, 2007
    C-ville Michigan
    I have a warwick corrvette std with active mec electronics. When I aquired this bass I was actually looking for a stingray, but the deal was to good to pass up. I Like the overall tone of this bass, but I find the bridge pickup to be kind of wimpy and I'm having trouble getting that low mid punch I wanted the stingray for out of this bass.

I was considering adding an MEC humbucker in place of the current bridge pickup. This will be an expensive job however by the time I buy the pickup from warwick and pay my local luthier to route out the hole for the humbucker. I will also need to purchase a switch to change the humbucker coils from series to parallel if I really want to get the most out of it.

On the warwick board I saw a person who was considering doing something simular, and he was convienced to just add another J pickup closer the the bridge. I understand how this is in effect very simular to a single humbucker pickup, but does it really sound the same? Are there potential phase issues? How would you find a complementary pickup to whats already there?

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    actually I would have to say a bart MM42CBJD3 Quad Coil pup with a series, parallel, single coil switch.

3. Seconded. Corvette with a monster humbucker FTW. :hyper:

4. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    may as well drop in a 9J#1 - Split Coil Hum-Cancelling J in the neck and a NTMB pre and call it a day.
    BTW I gutted my thumb with delano's and an aggy OBP3 and it is amazing.