1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Add Cab to Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smguy, Mar 13, 2010.

1. smguy

smguy

Feb 13, 2010
    This may be a stupid question but I've poked around a bit and can't quite find an answer. I have a Markbass Mini CMD 121P combo amp and I'm thinking of adding a second cab to it. The description on the guitarcenter website says "you can hook up to another 8 ohm cab for a 500W rig." My question is, does this mean that the whole system will total 500W (300W [normal for the amp] + 200W for the cab), or that it will send 500W to the cab? I'm thinking it's the second but I figured I would make sure before getting a cab. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks!

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Assuming GC knows what they're talking about, you'll have a total of 500w available. It will be split between the internal speaker and the external cab.

That said, you probably won't be able to use anywhere near the full 500w; most cabs will fart out long before that.

3. The AMP is capable if delivering 500 watts @ 4 ohms, and 300 watts @ 8 ohms.

Your combo right now is equipped with an 8 ohm 12" speaker, so you are operating at maximum of 300 watts.

Adding another 8 ohm external cab will bring your ohm load down to 4 ohms, and the amp will be maxing at 500 watts.

Those 500 available watts will be divided equally between your internal speaker, and the external cab...........each getting a max of 250 watts.

4. fourfinger

fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    From specs:

AMP OUTPUT POWER
    500W @ 4 ohm / 300W @ 8 ohm

This means that the amp without a 2nd cab delivers 300W to its internal speaker, which is an 8-ohm speaker.

If you add an extension cab that is also 8 ohms, the amp's load is now 4 ohms.

The amp will now deliver 500W total, which will come out to about 250W into each speaker. The total volume level will now be a lot higher.

(You should only add an 8-ohm cab; trying to add a 4-ohm cab thinking you can draw extra wattage out of the amp would be asking for catastrophe.)

5. fourfinger

fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    Wow, 3 replies in just 2 minutes.

6. smguy

smguy

Feb 13, 2010
    Oh okay. So Long story short, I should look for a cab rated at 8ohm/~250W. Thanks for the info!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020