1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

add casters to new speaker cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rylie, Aug 15, 2019 at 5:03 PM.

1. rylie

rylie

Sep 25, 2017
    dream into action
    Yeah I know kinda dumb question, but I don't wanna do a dumb thing and regret it. Have year old GK 2-10 & 1-15 cabs. Each are same physical size and weight. Look identical. Did not come with GK casters. Cabs are relatively light @ 35 lbs each. But I wanna make the cab mobility easier...add casters to at least one cab. Then I can stack cabs and roll both together. Based upon any TBer's experience with subject, any downside to this? Thanks.

2. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    I would check with GK to make sure you won't drill or screw into anything important. And if the cabs are still under warranty you should ask if you will void that by drilling/screwing into the cab(s).

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Personally, I don't like casters. I use a folding hand truck I got from Costco for $24, and use that to get all my gear in one trip, then go back with it to load the PA, etc.

BasturdBlaster and Haroldo like this.
  4. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    +1 for the hand truck or a dolly board.

Haroldo likes this.
  5. Personally, I'd go with the hand truck, but if you're determined:

Use big enough castors--at least 3". (Most pro gear uses 3-1/2" or 4") Through-bolt them with machine screws...don't just screw them into the cabinet with wood screws. Use at least 1/4" hardware. Use fender washers on the inside and lock-washers on top of flat washers on the underside.

You might consider making a separate dolly-board out of 3/4" plywood and attaching it to the cab via a couple of 1/4-20 wing-screws that hand-tighten into T-nuts inside the cab, like the old Ampeg amps. Then you'd be able to take the wheels off when needed. I've found that leaving cabs on their wheels costs some low end performance. You could mount the castors on the side and then rotate the cab off of the wheels and into the correct, upright position for playing, but then you're likely to encounter problems with the castors rattling.

2saddleslab likes this.
  6. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I’m old, I have casters on everything, if I own the cabs they get wheels, even my small Bergies.;)