Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Add frets to fretless?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jammadave, Feb 25, 2005.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Hi guys.

Well, due to some odd circumstances I'm going to probably need my new custom to arrive with frets. Thing is, though, the neck is already finished and they (Spector) won't take a fret saw to it now. I wanted it fretless and made sure before making the decision, but my personal sitch has changed since then.

What options do I have for adding frets? Obviously I want to take the utmost care here, and would only take it to a professional... It's currently unlined fretless Pau Ferro.

I won't even see the bass for another 4 months or so, so maybe I'll have worked everything out by then, but I have this feeling that will not be the case.

Cheers
    Dave

2. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Is it possible to order a new neck? Yea, it will cost some money, but then you have two matching necks!

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah you can order a new neck or just fretboard from Warmoth.com

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Get a new neck.

5. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    uhhh, it's a USA neck-thru.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, the only other way to do it would be to take it to a competent tech. Just expect it to cost a bit, especially being unlined. He will have to do some good measurements first. The possibility of putting on a new fretboard has a smaller chance of success, and would require some finishing work; and in turn, it would be more expensive. Are you sure spector absolutely will not do it?

7. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well according to PJ, the neck is "finished" and apparently once it's finished they won't touch it again. I'm supposed to get some progress shots in the next couple days so I'll know better then as to what they mean is finished - astonishing especially since I'm not slated to get the bass for another 4 months or more.

8. Boy Dave, you aren't happy until you've changed your mind at least once are you? :D

The problem is that the area of the fretboard overlapping the body would be damn near impossible to cut slots in without damaging the body. It would require EXTREME caution. Maybe a real "luthier" could do it :meh:

9. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yeah, unfortunately that's become the norm with me. I'm hasty to make decisions in the first place and of course have lots to retract later. I'm impatient because life is short, so I try to have it all, and have it all right now.

This one is actually over, I decided to just up and cancel the build altogether. Same with my other custom slated for 2005. I'll spend less money, and know exactly what I'm getting, if I stick to production stuff.