Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

add ing a pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Jul 9, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    ok,I want to add another mm pickup to my music man,I have the Seymour Duncan mm pickup and preamp, (I think its a preamp in it) all ready.i want to know if I could wire the two mm pickups in two a 3 way switch ,then in the the tone controls.can this be done and how would i. i want to make my mm like the sabre.

2. You could do that, but I'd be more worried about the routing of the body at this stage. You can do almost anything with electronics, but a badly modified bass will sound bad anyway.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Agreed. Routing for another pickup is something that a professional should do. Unless of course, you happen to have a router, carbide bit, a jig and a template lying around along with a couple of body blanks to practice on.

For what you would spend on that project, you could score a used G&L L2000. That is pretty much a stingray with two pickups. Not exactly, but if you want exactly, you still got your stingray.

Chas

4. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    the route easy my music store down the street will do it free i fi buy the pickups from them but like they cant wire the pickups for some reason

5. As mentioned, electronics are considerably much easier to install than routing. Therefore, if said store couldn't install electronics I wouldn't trust them to route a piece of scrap wood. The store would have to route channels for the new electronics anyway, so I don't see why they couldn't install it. Go into more depth with them about routing for the pups.

6. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    the reason they cant wire the pickup is because the don't want to mess up the tone controls and stuff.werid be cause they selling them to me and if the mess them up can get more .I would just have my brother do lt cause he is good with that type of stuff. O yeah were can I put the 3 way switch