Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

add j-retro???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shackman, Feb 27, 2002.

1. I have a 2001 Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass. I am just wondering after hearing so much about how great the J-Retro's are for jazz basses, if its worth tampering with my stock bass since its already active. I would love to hear suggestions if anyone feels familiar with this subject.

Thanks.

2. I have the Mia jazz w/out retro and I have heard it with and personally I don't think it's worth the money. I would say it might be worth it if you had a mim cause you will hear a huge difference. But I would leave the mia alone;)

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    shackman,

I also have a 2001 American Deluxe Jazz Bass. I like the sound that I get from mine as is. If I had a Standard Jazz that I felt needed active electronics, I would consider the J-Retro and other possible options.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Absolutely not. I don't care for the JRetro much. Loud but lacking Jazz "vibe." I had one in a '98 American Standard Jazz and took it out and sold it. The Deluxe sounds good as is, IMO. Leave it alone.

5. Owning both active Fender basses and an AmStd Jazz with the J-Retro, I'd have to say leave it alone.

That is not meant as an indictment of the J-Retro. It's actually a little more versatile than the Fender system. However, it's not really worth the update.

If you have a passive J-Bass, then I think the J-Retro is definitely worth the investment. I'm really impressed with mine.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I put one in a passive Jazz, and I'm pleased with it.

They are pretty pricey though.

7. thank you for your replies. i am gonna save the money to build a fretless warmoth and may put on in that.

8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Do you think it be worth putting the Retro in a MIM Active Jazz Bass?

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm a little bit off topic, but just out of curiosity: is the stock preamp of the MIA jazz deluxe bypassable for passive operation?
    thanks

10. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Nope.

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    No it's not. That is one of the attractive features of the J-Retro. Still I like the sound of mine like it is. If it ever crapped out on me or if it was a passive bass, I'd certainly look at the J-Retro.

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i am building a jazz bass 4 strings from woods and i think that i'll use the j retro preamp. it sounded nide when i tried it, but i have no experience with the MIA deluxe fender basses, i'd love to try them and expecially the preicision!!

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've said it a million times: the j-retro is the most innovative, best sounding thing to come along for bass since active pickups!

always worth it! :D

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have two MIA JD5's, one with a J-Retro and one without. Before I installed the J-Retro I was happy with the stock preamp. The J-Retro does allow you to dial in more tonal variations than the OEM unit. You can go brighter with the treble control, the pull function does add sparkle, the bass control is well centered and the bass can be used in active or passive mode.

Is it worth it? Depends on what you like. I'm happier with it than without it but I'm also happy (maybe even happier) with the new 18v system in my FMT.

15. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Shack,

I have an American Deluxe Jazz 5 string and IMO, the J-Retro Deluxe preamp is superior to the stock Fender unit. The ability to sweep the mid frequency and run the bass in passive mode are real bonuses over the stock unit.

If you decide on the J-Retro, here are some important things to keep in mind:

You definitely want the J-Retro Deluxe model over the standard J-Retro. This model is designed to work with side input jack. Additionally, there is a passive tone knob.

To fit the unit in the bass, a small amount of routing is required. I did not feel comfortable doing this myself and had the unit professionally installed. If this is cost prohibitive for you, staying with stock Fender unit isn't a bad call.

Best Wishes,
    Bones

16. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Which model has the side imput jack? What are some of the other features with the deluxe other than the tone knob? How much more does it cost compared to the standard model (if you dont mind me asking)? You had to have routing done in your active Jazz Bass even though you already had enough room for the stock preamp? Im pretty sure I want to get the retro im just a little unclear yet.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Fender Jazz Deluxes have side input jacks. The J-Retro deluxe is a direct swap. The J-Retro deluxe uses the stock side jack, it has an extra control (passive tone control). It's $25 more than the standard J-Retro ($250), which has a jack on the control plate.

When I installed mine it did require the removal of a very small amount of wood from the lower side of the inside of the control cavity. Easy to do IMO.

18. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks a TON, Brad!

19. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I was surprised, my J-Retro dropped right in without any routing whatsoever. The battery is a tight squeeze, but that's unavoidable.

20. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    hi all

what about battery replacement?
    from the pics i've seen, looks like you have to remove the whole plate...?