Add Lines to a fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tmt, Dec 28, 2001.

1. tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Ok, someone offer me a used warwick bolt on 5 strings fretless.

I want to know if it's possible to add lines to it (not fretted just lines ) ?
    If it's possible, then how will the playbility?
    What line fret do you suggest, only marks or slightly carving to its neck or other idea?

2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Well, you have two basic options:

You could take it to a good luthier to inlay lines made of contrasting wood veneer, or plastic. If you don't want lines to show too much, you could inlay them only under the E string (my favorite).

You could also mark them with a permanent marker, though that would not work on something like ebony or other dark woods.

Playability & sound will not change.
  3. tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    :D Thanks for the info
  4. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    I've had good luck using nail polish and dabbing a little dot at each fret position on the visible edge of the fingerboard. You can use whatever color floats your boat and contrasts with the wood.
  5. tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    How do you that?

Do you do it by yourself and please tell me how to measures or where to put the dots.
  6. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Others have done this using a chromatic tuner. With the bass properly intonated, stroll up the B string placing a dot on the edge of the fingerboard wherever the tuner shows you to be in tune...

7. tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Well !!! I have never thought about that, thanks for the advise.

Anyway I think the problems comes from the strings (new/ semi new). What do you suggest?