Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Add McGuyver to the list of my titles!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mikemulcahy, Aug 29, 2002.

1. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I am now in Florida in my hospital owned temporary housing. My wife wanted to stay behind until our house in NC sells, its kind of a project with her. At any rate, the phone in here is really strange, you first must press one button the 9 to get an outside line. Needles to say you cant just plug you moden into that bad boy and jump on the net.

So I am sitting here bored outa my skull with no net. I tried everything conventional I could think of...no dice. So then I start thinking outa the box.

Here is the set up that actually worked: I stripped a section of the phone cord to expose the 4 internal wires, and did the same with the modem line. Using the top clip as my guide, I spliced the corresponding wires together. No comes the cool part, the phone has a speaker so that was disconnected first, I set up my access numbers, hit the little "on" like button, press 9 for the outside line. BANG I am sufin the nety again!!!!!!

I know for you electronic wiz kids this is preschool stuff, but for me at 2am, its a major victory!!!!

Just wanted to share what I went through for you guys.
    :p :p :p

Mike

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Put the scalpel down and step away from the phone jack [​IMG].

kidding! :D

cool beans Dr. Mike [​IMG]
    (it's how Apple's Wosniak got started)

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    HA!!! Thats more true than you think, thats what in used to strip the wires!!!!:D No blood either.

Mike

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Dang, I was hoping this would be some kind of operating room story where you saved a patient with a paper clip and the moon's gravitational pull. ;)

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Anyone that can weld a connecting rod together with a nickel is my hero.

6. Did you know you can use duct tape for band-aids? Just place a cottonball on it, slap it over the wound, and your done!! Just make sure you dont have any body hair there. Ouch!!:eek:

Rock on
    Eric

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    When I read the title to this thread, I thought you were going to talk about how you are a mechanic and one of your co-workers wanted you to build a bong. :D

;)

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Actually, all you needed to do is to prefix the ISP's phone number with 9,

meaning, let the modem dial 9, wait a second (that's what the comma is for), and then the rest of the number.

9. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Tried that, didnt work. This is a strange phone in that you must first hit a button then 9 for the outside line. Dunno what that is all about but it is now circumvented.

Mike

10. Way to go Mike... thats how i got started in electronics, sure i was 9 but its never too late to start... then comes from the wife "honey the vacuumm cleaners broken" then you say "i'll have a look at it"... then the Tv goes bung so you go "maybe i'll poke around with it"

trust me.. IT HAPPENS! :p

:D:D

Merls

11. Hmm...this would explain why I have waaaaay to many broken items that I can "Fix"

Basically I'm always practicing for Junkyard Wars and Battlebots.

12. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    So I guess its not strange that i have all these bodies and body parts laying around then. I kew you guys would understand. Hell I may get around to fixing them one day.

NAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Mike

BTW, at age 14 i was in Med School, but if this whole docterin thing doesnt catch on, i may look into electronics

13. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

[​IMG]

ahh! Kidding Doctor Mike! Kidding! :)

Electronics?!? Noooo (sorry Unky Merls).

Bioinformatics is the way to go.

Ya' get Scientifical schtuff AND Perl programming! :D

14. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    An ice pick, an avacado, and a snorkle
    :cool: :cool:

-cap

15. Hey hey hey!! This is a family website, keep your sexual exploits to yourself!!

Rock on
    Eric

16. reddavid

reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    Did he say, "hospital owned temporary housing"?

Is that the new P/C term for rehab?

hmmm...

just wondering.

Red

17. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Oh lord...:D

-cap

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    where's the clever utilisation of bubble gum? hey, come on, it can't be a macguyver thread with out bubble gum.

:D

19. McGuyver was the sh#t. He could of made a bomb with a snickers bar and a couple of wires.
    :D

20. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    do doctors alway carry scalpels?