Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Add on cab for Peavey Basic 112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by megiddo, Oct 3, 2003.

1. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I need to get more volume out of my Peavey Basic 112 while I'm saving up for a Mesa Scout. By adding the cab I'll increase the power from 50 to 75 watts. Is it worth adding a cab to the Peavey and will it be any louder? I wouldn't want to sink more than about $150 into the deal. What do you guys think?

2. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    If you could find a decent 1x12, 1x15 or 2x10 for an easy price and dont mind dropping the dough on it, then go for it. 75 is 50% more than 50 watts after all. Plus it never hurts to have a usable ext. cab sitting around. Hope I could help.

3. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I had thought about getting an Aguilar GS 112. That way I'd have a quality cab to grow with but I was wondering if 75 watts would be enough power to drive it. I know the Mesa amp would sound sweet with it but that's a while down the road. I've been watching the music stores here in Houston looking for the GS 112. I can get a new one for $399 but I'm hoping to find one used for around $200. I saw a couple about 6 months ago on eBay but didn't have the bucks at the time. :bawl:

4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I wouldn't go for it man... $150 for 25 watts is a bit too expensive here... That's like 6 dollars per watt. I would just save, it would make a difference from 50 to 75, but it won't sound like a jump from 100 to 200. I think that that would be some bad spent money, unless you aren't planning to buy another rig anytime soon... If you do I hope you like it ;);).

5. Yeah, if you absolutely must buy a cab, buy one that you would use with your scout. That way you can buy your rig kind of in pieces. But I would still suggest saving and buying all at once. I used to have a peavey basic 112 too, and would say it is not worth it buy an extra cab just for this system.

6. I have an older Basic 112, and while it's a very good practice amp--it even did OK for low-volume band practices--it's not worth spending another $150 just to try and get a few more watts out of it, IMHO.

Scrape up $250 or so and look for a used combo with more power, like the Peavey TNT or TKO series, or save up for the head/cab rig.

7. Save up for the head/cab rig :)

8. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks for the replies. I'm convinced I'll hang on and get the Mesa combo when I have the money. That way I'll have a great amp that can push a larger cab when I need it. Anyone have a used Mesa Scout they'd take $500 for? Ha! :D :D :D

Thanks again for the great replies!

9. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Don't forget about a head/cab rig too... Just a suggestion...