Add on cab for Peavey Basic 112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by megiddo, Oct 3, 2003.

1. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I need to get more volume out of my Peavey Basic 112 while I'm saving up for a Mesa Scout. By adding the cab I'll increase the power from 50 to 75 watts. Is it worth adding a cab to the Peavey and will it be any louder? I wouldn't want to sink more than about $150 into the deal. What do you guys think?

2. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    If you could find a decent 1x12, 1x15 or 2x10 for an easy price and dont mind dropping the dough on it, then go for it. 75 is 50% more than 50 watts after all. Plus it never hurts to have a usable ext. cab sitting around. Hope I could help.

3. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I had thought about getting an Aguilar GS 112. That way I'd have a quality cab to grow with but I was wondering if 75 watts would be enough power to drive it. I know the Mesa amp would sound sweet with it but that's a while down the road. I've been watching the music stores here in Houston looking for the GS 112. I can get a new one for $399 but I'm hoping to find one used for around $200. I saw a couple about 6 months ago on eBay but didn't have the bucks at the time. :bawl:

4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I wouldn't go for it man... $150 for 25 watts is a bit too expensive here... That's like 6 dollars per watt. I would just save, it would make a difference from 50 to 75, but it won't sound like a jump from 100 to 200. I think that that would be some bad spent money, unless you aren't planning to buy another rig anytime soon... If you do I hope you like it ;);).

5. Yeah, if you absolutely must buy a cab, buy one that you would use with your scout. That way you can buy your rig kind of in pieces. But I would still suggest saving and buying all at once. I used to have a peavey basic 112 too, and would say it is not worth it buy an extra cab just for this system.

6. I have an older Basic 112, and while it's a very good practice amp--it even did OK for low-volume band practices--it's not worth spending another $150 just to try and get a few more watts out of it, IMHO.

Scrape up $250 or so and look for a used combo with more power, like the Peavey TNT or TKO series, or save up for the head/cab rig.

7. Save up for the head/cab rig :)

8. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks for the replies. I'm convinced I'll hang on and get the Mesa combo when I have the money. That way I'll have a great amp that can push a larger cab when I need it. Anyone have a used Mesa Scout they'd take $500 for? Ha! :D :D :D

Thanks again for the great replies!

9. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Don't forget about a head/cab rig too... Just a suggestion...