Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Add Padding To A Rack Case?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I got a three space SKB rack case two weeks ago (my first one), and I was wondering if adding some sort of cloth or foam padding in the thin spaces above and below my rackmounted units would add any extra shock absorption.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nope. Shocks will take the path of least resistance to your gear, and that means from the outer casing to the attached rack ears, to your gear.

For shock protection, you need to isolate the ear mounts from the outer casing.

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    exactly what Eric says. doing what you said could also cause fire hazards!

4. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    It would add insulation, though, so all those components that like to get some air flow will be blocked and burn up instead...

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow, okay, thanks-I'd rather not burn up my stuff :meh: How do you isolate the ear mounts? I'm using washers on my bolts that go into nut retainers at the moment..

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There is no way to retrofit a regular SKB case to make it a shock case.

The only way to do it is to purchase a shock rack, or make your own. To do so you need a separate box that has rack ears, then surround that with about an inch of ether foam, then build a regular rack case around that.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    while air flow is important, i like using small 1"x1"x.5" blocks of packing foam, and placing two or three to give support.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wait, I think you though I was asking about electric shock-I was asking about physical shock.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Can't be done. As long as the rails are attached to the case, which they are, adding foam around the rest of the case will do nothing. A shock-rack allows the rails to move slightly in the case of being dropped.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ok, thanks :)

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh just stop banging your equpiment around and you'll be fine.......... :p