1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Add Real Spring-Reverb To Loop?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, May 1, 2010.

1. I've got an honest-to-goodness spring reverb out of an old Crate guitar amp. The amp itself died (children) and doesn't work any more without a lot of $$ to fix it - something about table knives not being forced into the power supply - I dunnow.

Can it be externally powered up and inserted into the Effects Loop on my bass amp? It might be fun to try.

Anyone tried this?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

If all you have is the mechanical reverb tank --- the spring assembly --- you may need a preamp to drive the input of the springs, and probably another one to amplify the output of the springs for the FX return. I don't know if there are special requirements for those circuits.

You might experiment with a working reverb unit first, because reverb might not be of any use with bass. Typically the cutoff frequency of the spring units is well above much of the bass range.

3. Yeah - I thought that might be the situation.

Still don't like tossing a perfectly good spring reverb away though.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That depends how good it is. If it's a large tank Hammond, as used in old Fenders for example, it could have some value, but it does require drive circuitry to work. Being Crate I doubt that's the case, though.