Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Add These To Your Routine.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Stephen S, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Ok in my studies I have come across a few exercises that I think will help a lot of bassplayers develop their technique. So here they are.

The first exercise is called The Spider. This exercise builds dexterity in your fretting hand.
    I started this exercise at 60 BPM so I could get the feel and I have slowly moved up by 5 BPM every week or so,but you can move at your own pace.

The Spider in 5ths and minor 3rds

G)---7--8--5--6-
    D)-5--6--7--8---
    Start with quarter notes hitting one note on every beat. Then you can move to 8ths and 16ths. It is best if you subdivide the beats. It helps your time as well.

you can also do The Spider like this:

G)---7--8--5--6----
    D)-----------------
    A)-5--6--7--8------

or:

G)---7--8--5--6----
    D)-----------------
    A)-----------------
    E)5--6--7--8-------

This exercise helps to develop independence in the 2nd and 3rd finger of your fretting hand.
    Once again set your metronome to about 60 BPM. You will not be using your plucking hand at all for this exercise.

Place the 3rd finger of your fretting hand on 7th fret of the D string. This finger will be left here and not used at all during this exercise. This lets you build independence in your other fingers.

Hammer you 1st finger onto the 5th fret of the G string, then the 2nd finger onto the 6th of the G string, and your 4th finger onto the 8th fret of the G string. Now pull the 4th finger off sounding the 6th fret of the G strings note, then pull the 2nd finger off sounding the 5th fret of the G strings note. Do all of this in time, starting with quarter notes then moving to 8ths and 16ths.

There is another version of this exercise where you leave your 2nd finger on the 6th fret of the D string and you do the hammering/pulling off with your 1,3,and 4 fingers on the G string.

Good Luck!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If you want more exercises like this, check out Joshquin des Pres' Bass Fitness book.

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Jesus Christ, you are fast.

I have a few books, but these exercises are from John Patitucci's Electric Bass book.

4. My teacher showed me the spider a while ago, it's a great exercise. I guess it can be used for chords too. Example:

G)-7--8--5--6-
    D)-5--6--7--8-

Etc etc. I'll try the hammer-ons one, I can use improvement (and tons of it!). :D

5. I ussually prefer less endlessly repetetive excersises when doing bass. Scales are my main tool, plus I do a lot of fifths and octaves practces but going accoss lots of strings. Finds it builds up finger agility more if you stretch it more like this.

BTW, play it 360BPM and you will be my god. :D