1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Addaptation to different size basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Music_for_life, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    I have 3 different fivers with different neck sizes
    A tobias growler with 17 mm
    A stingray with 17.5 mm
    A fender roscoe beck with 19 mm

The fender was the last bass I bought and it is my regular bass for gigging, rehearsing and recording. I was difficult at first to play it because it is wider but then I love that size and the tension it gets. It is a bass to groove and it can get different dynamics easily.
    The growler on the contrary is a bass for kids comparing it to the fender. It feels strange now to play it and I can get less dynamics from it. It has great tone but way more compressed and modern.
    What is your experience??
    Do you have different size basses??
    Can you play them confortable if you change basses regularly??

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Not only different neck widths, but scales. 35", 34", 18" (Ashbory), four and five strings, fretted and fretless, 7.25", 10", flat, and compound radius necks, etc. That doesn't even include the different guitar necks. Just play 'em m, don't let your mind tell you that it's a problem, and it won't BE a problem.

John

3. +1

4. It takes me a couple of minutes to acclimate, but no problems after that. Same with going from 4 strings to 5.

5. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Ive got a 4 with a 1.5" nut, a 4 with a 1.65" (I believe) nut, a 5 with I think a 1.8" nut or there about, and three different guitars with slightly different feeling necks. I can easy pick any of them up and play with no problem.

Now when I only had a bass with a wide nut for a few years, then yea it was hard to acclimate, but now switching regularly it's not an issue at all

6. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    Any more?

7. No, just play the dang things.

8. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    Any more?

9. There are more than a "few" here who pick apart almost any given bass. Are you sure you want that sort of advice?

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    This, except with 4/6/8-strings.

11. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    If so I want to know wich size they like and why...not bigger better here

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    My preferences:

34" scale, 4 strings, 17.5mm spacing (bridge), 12" radius, 12mm spacing (nut)
    35" scale, 6 strings, 16.5mm spacing (bridge), compound radius, 10mm spacing (nut)
    35" scale, 8 strings, 16.5mm spacing (bridge), no radius, 10mm spacing (nut)

Why? Because I like narrower spacing, more strings, and 35" scales.

13. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Going from my Yamaha TRB-JP to my Carvin LB76 is quite a difference in spacing. No problems with the adjustment, though. The 35'' scale used to through me off a tad very early on, reaching for the low C on my Modulus but it's effortless now.

14. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    Wich brand is the 6 string bass?? 16.5 seems really tight...I need a picture of that