1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Added A .1 uF Cap - Like WOW!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Apr 30, 2010.

1. I took someone's advice and went out and bought a couple of 0.1uF wafer caps and installed one on my TONE pot on a MIJ P/S Fender.

I wanted that deep, funky boom with just the slightest hint of thump and this capacitor did it for me.

Easy-peasy and a caveman can do it too.

The cap(s) cost me about 35 cents at Radio Schlack and even though I only needed one, they comes in twosies.

The stock T-pot is a little odd in that it gets to that new cap at the end of it's travel and almost immediately returns to the old tone after about 5ยบ of turn from the LOW-TONE setting.

It's a very narrow sweet spot, but easy to find when I'm fumbling with the strings since it's at the far end of the TONE pot anyway.

The bright TONE settings are still there untouched at any other position and this pot now acts like a rotary switch at almost the end of it's travel - and I say that's very good.

It's just what I wanted.

If someone needs info for a DIY, the caps are part # 272-0135

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i work at radioshack and picked a few of these up for the same reason.
    havent got a chance to use them yet, but now i may have to.

3. What I'm getting here is a resurrected P/S bass with a few changes that are really making some big changes to it and it's appeal to me.

With the Roto 77s, a neck truss rod correction, new intonation and now this cap, I am liking this bass more and more. Watch out Motown - I'm coming.

Next a custom pick guard. And I hate the cheap jack in the pickguard - it's always cutting out and it has to be fiddled with all the time. I re-tensioned the inner spring, but it still is noisy and cuts out a lot.

Is there a multiple contact non-TRS female jack I can get with dual spring contacts on the tip?

Fender sure cheaps-out on their low end basses. :spit:

4. Ive tried a cap that high before, didn't do it for me, but congrats on getting a sound you wanted :D

5. In case anyone wants to see it - I took a pix of the one that's left over from the two-pack :::
    100_6172.

Tiny little guy huh!