Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

addendum to ed roman "jr basses"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Jan 4, 2005.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    a few of you folks might have noticed in a recent ed roman discussion the mention of "jr basses" for sale, and the two ritter basses there (jr - jens ritter).

well, some facts that i uncovered regarding mr. roman...

he is not a ritter dealer any longer, and he is not allowed to advertise himself as one, so that's the reason for the initials. someone mentioned that he was, so i wanted to clear that up.

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What a surprise. Ed Roman found being less than truthful. :eyebrow:

What a crook.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Detective Turner! :D

Just had a look at the www.edromanguitars.com site and despite his crazy rants and reputation, the man sure does deal in a lot of different brands. Which begs the question:

Is his reputation localised to Talkbass, or is it fairly widely held?

And, if it is widely held, why are so many product manufacturers giving the man dealerships?

Its all very strange - I can only assume that he really does sell a lot of stock.

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh.

well, i would offer that every forum i've been an active participant in has held the same opinion of him. i don't have anything to add, i don't think i've ever even met the man at various namm shows and such, and i certainly have never dealt with his business.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not sure how he deals in so many products. The same feelings that are held by many here about the man are widely the same in the entire industry.

6. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I've never met him, nor do I want to. And it didn't take anybody else's opinion to make come to that conclusion. From his "rants" section on his site, he comes across as being the Charles Manson of bass retailers. The dude obviously has some deep rooted issues.

Therefore, I will purchase elsewhere. :spit:

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Never met the man, never care to, but I CAN tell you that every internet forum or newsgroup, including guitar-only newsgroups, have a near-universal opinion of him. It is not specific to talkbass.com.

Where there's smoke . . .

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have met Ed on several occasions. He is not for everyone and he will tell you if you talk to him long enough what kind of customers he wants and doesn’t want. I dealt with him way back in when he had the store in CT. He ordered the most basic Bass we make, a Burner (Japan) Swamp Ash. He wanted to spend as little as possible. When he got it, he called and said “this is completely plain, no figure at all” or something like that. I responded by telling him "that's Swamp Ash, it doesn't have any figure!" and told him he should have order the next model up in Maple (tiger or quilt) but You (him) didn’t wanna go the extra 100 (or what ever it was then). He kept it but we didn’t do any more business with that store.

Years later he calls to order our Pro Formula polish. I remind him face to face (actually phone to phone) what happened b4 and he said he loved the Polish and wants to buy some. At that time we re-established our business together. Now.. he buys Basses from us for his new Las Vegas store and always asks for the nicest wood possible and he WILL pay the extra to get it nice.. He Loves wood too… !!…..

We too had a little problem at first when my name and Basses showed up on his website. He had some used ones and sorta ‘borrowed’ some pics from my website. I called and let him know our policy. He Ordered several new Basses and in his wood species section where he used some of our web photos to show the woods used on HIS Basses, it now says “photo Courtesy of Ken Smith” or something close to that. If you have a problem with ED's web practices or business I am sure he will listen to reason as he did with J.R and me.

At a recent Namm show I was talking to a wood supplier of mine that usually deals on in the wholesale exotic business to lumber stores and some furniture mfgs. Rarely will they deal with Guitar companies because of the ‘one piece’ hunt! He told me he was looking for Ed Roman because he wanted to meet him. I said really? What for? Well he said, Ed buys huge amounts of wood like Korina (black limba) and he PAYS Good !! Well I described what he looks like and sure enough somewhere on the NAMM floor they met. My friend came back to me with a smile and said.. yeah, I me Ed, he was a nice guy but a little eccentric. No more needed to be said.

Hey, who am I to talk…… I get the same rap/rep from time to time but I know what I see in the mirror each day.. It’s amazing what good Dentistry can do these days…..LOL.

9. I bought a bass from him at his Vegas shop. He was very nice to me.

10. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I had an interesting experence with one of his sales people a couple of years ago. I was in the market for a bass that was around the 2500.00 range,and he had one in stock.When I called to ask about it,I was told about their price policy. Something about the lowest prices,etc.. So I asked what was the lowest cash price for the bass. The response was," I can't tell you that". When I asked why he responded." because If I tell you that, you'll just call around and see if you can get it cheaper". DUH! I informed him that I would not commit to buying something without knowing how much I was going to spend. We went around and around for a few minutes,him always insisting that they will be the lowest price, but couldn't tell me what that price was.I finally hung up on him as he was getting very rude, and starting to get an attitude with me.I emailed Ed and told him what his salesman had done, and never recieved a response. The lost a potential sale, and a customer for good. I'll not ever deal with those folks again.Besides, I wound up getting the same bass, custom made for me, for about 150.00 cheaper than Ed Roman.So there!

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol ken, you're a trip :) :hyper:

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey guys

i really didn't intend on making this a "shoot ed roman in the barrel" thread, ok? just wanted to inform folks about the "jr" basses.

13. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    You know John, as soon as they see Ed Roman's name out here, they run to the shed and grab the Barrel and a 12 gauge... It's just a fact of life we have to live with... Talk about a waste of wood.. those poor poor barrels......lol

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Has anyone emailed Jens Ritter about this?

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, that's how i know :)

16. Does that mean his stuff is overpriced? :D

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

Who cares

Rob

18. LOL. Analogy: start a thread entitled "Jerry Springer journalism" at a NewYork Times BBS forum. You know it's going to be going down in flames.

19. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    On the Steinberger forum, he seems to be pretty univerally despised -- not least of all by the guy who hosts the forum.

20. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    well Ken, he may be simply eccentric in your opinon, but someone who viciously denigrates and profanes both his customer base and his competitors is someone I will avoid like the plague.