Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

adderall

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Mar 9, 2005.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    anyone use it? it is kind of a hot commodity around my school during finals and whatnot. I still have yet to use it for studying purposes, but it seems kind of attractive and a little bit "super pill-ish"

does anyone have any comments on this?
    slick

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    All these stimulants for final time is just a great way to work your cadiovascular system way too hard. The best way to study is to take breaks, move around, and find a relaxing/non-destracting area to study in. That usually helps me a lot.

3. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Umm, I knew some people who made meth, they said that adderall is one of the best ingredients for the good stuff...

Needless to say, speed isn't good for you. You'll end up freaking out and the refridgerator will start moving around.

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    It's a fun little pill. I was able to be extremely focused while using it. (I'm usually a space cadet. :p)

The one thing I hated about it was how it affected my circulation, which really affected my playing.

I had a rather large prescription in high school, but ended up selling more than I actually ingested. :meh: I found that I could do without it. Trevorus offered some sound advice - study the right way, and you'll do fine.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Adderall does help with concentration and studying, but ritalin works much better.

Of course, both are illegal without a prescription.

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You could just try a cup of coffee.

7. Or lay off the donuts and chips and while cramming make sure to eat properly. Well maintained blood sugar levels go a long way to vastly improved concentration.

Damn I sound like an old fart!!!! If only I knew then ;)

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm more or less against adderall. I've only had a little bit a couple times though. I guess if it helps you study it's probably worth it, but as mentioned in this thread there are lots of other factors to help you learn(taking breaks, moving around, eating well...etc) I say if you feel like you need adderall, assess everything about your study space and habits first, and see if they need adjustment before skipping straight to the pills.

As for it being illegal without a prescription, sure, but doctors practically give them away, it's absurd, they'll give it to pretty much anyone. :meh:

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I prefer my method.

Regular cardiovascular exercise, weight-training and yoga; healthy vegan/vegetarian diet of mostly organic foods; feng shui enhanced home; sleep; a healthy personal relationship, as well as family relationship; a positive outlook on life; and no television.

But, to each his/her own.

10. People I've known use that stuff to get high, not study. I was under the assumption that it was like ritalin, which has been shown to decrease attention span vastly in individuals who meet no requirements for the diagnosis of ADD.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Which seem to be the majority of people getting prescribed to this stuff. Yes, ADD is a real thing, but it's also entirely natural for young people to dart around and be restless, the public school system doesn't do much to aid that restlessness.

Not too mention parents being too eager to label their child with some affliction and then assign X,Y,Z medications to "fix" it. The whole mentality behind a pill for this and a pill for that is depressing. Whatever happened to living a healthy life?

12. Very true. Overprescription of drugs is a problem in this country (others?), particularly regarding anti-depressants and drugs designed to treat hyperactivity problems. Still, the studies I've seen show clear chemical differences in neurological reactions produced by ritalin in different folks. Classic cases of people with ADD exhibit one response, people who display no signs of ADD get another. There are plenty of people in between these extremes who get diagnosed wrongfully, but most research studies feature strong cases of the disorder they are meant to study.

Hopefully one day we'll get off of our reliance on prescription medication to treat every little thing. The only pill I pop daily is a multi-vitamin, a rare thing considering the direction my generation is headed - straight to the pharmacy.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. The best we can hope for in the immediate future would be better pills with less questionable side effects and/or negative general usage effects. Kinda like how fast food is always going to be junk, but at least in the past few years steps have been made to make it slightly better junk. (though I still don't touch the stuff)

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My son was prescribed many of these drugs over the last few years because of his autism. Even considering for a moment that these pills, originally designed to HELP are used for recreation is disgusting to me.

I had my adolescent moments years ago, but my perspective has changed...drastically.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Adderall? Never used, never intend to. I believe in as natural of an existance as possible. Very little TV, a fairly healthy diet, regular excercise, as soon as the doctor lets me, and NO drugs unless absolutely necessary. Means no tylenol (but yes, I do keep some in my car just in case) no anything unless it's absolutely necessary.

No drugs, none OTC, no perscription if I can help it.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am currently in the midst of a Cisco networking bootcamp. 12 hours a day of class, and a couple hours or more of labs, reading and studying after that. I asked for advice about this mentally draining activity from several people. Here is what I came up with...

No stimulants of any kind. I have been eating healthy, drinking plenty of water, and taking a multi-vitamin each day. I started the vitamins a few days before I left so they would be in effect when I started. By eating healthy, I am talking a balanced diet from all the food groups each day in equal portions. How am I doing? I'm tired, but not drained completely. The time change has alot to do with my being tired.

A couple other guys in the class are doing the energy drink, energy pill, caffeine, and junk food thing. They are trying to maintain this constant sugar/caffeine high. I did not ask if they are using any medications, but I believe they are. After four days, they look like strung out meth junkies.

-Mike

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Doin' it the good old healthy way is the way to go. Think about it this way... Your body works best when it has proper supply of nutrients, and proper balance. Why try and replace that with chemical stimulants which usually work your body harder than it needs to? With the proper supply of fuel, your body can do amazing things. With chemical stimulants, it can do amazing things, but then you crash. That's not worth it.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    And if Mike can do that clean, you can do anything clean. I went through that course over two years and it was boring as ***insert REALLY boring thing here***

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hater!

Cisco networking is far from boring. I love it. You probably just don't get it, so you think it's boring.

:D j/k

-Mike

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nah, I got it. But subnetting does get boring after a while. I was actually fascinated by it, but it's quite hard to concentrate on sometimes.