Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Addicted to original flexocore

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Gagliano, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Gagliano

Gagliano

Aug 6, 2003
    Lynnfield MA
    My original flexocore A string is so wonderfully bowable. Tried obligatos and a few others, but
    nothing can compare. The trouble is that it's so dead for jazzy pizz. Is there anything close to that robust bowability but just a little bit more jazzable?

2. Aren't the new flexocores, the ones with the lighter purple-ish red wrap supposed to be a bit bright and more lively? I think that's how it goes... Anyway, might try one of those. The flatchromesteels are a little brighter and bow similarly to the flexocores, if I remember right also.

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Kolstein Varicor Excel is the answer!

4. hmmm, maybe it was just me, or my bass or something. But I tried a set of the Kolstiens once, and took them off the same day. It seems to me like they sounded really lifeless and dead.

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I can't answer this, but I would like to know more about your old Gagliano!! Any pics? Stories? Where did you get it?

Monte

6. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I know what you mean.
    The formula has evolved a lot since then.
    I suggest that you try the A and see if you like it.

7. Gagliano

Gagliano

Aug 6, 2003
    Lynnfield MA
    The new Flexocors come in thin, medium, or thick.
    Which should I try to come closest to my goal of wonderful orig flexocor bowing but with a little bit better pizz?
    My A-list of A-strings to try is: varicore, new flexocor, orig flatchrome, new flatchrome. My plan is to find the best A-string, and then move on to the other strings one by one.

8. Gagliano

Gagliano

Aug 6, 2003
    Lynnfield MA
    Here it is - it's Joseph & Antonio Gagliano c. 1790. Got it 15 years ago from Mike Leiter in Montreal. Big dark and mellow. I remember falling in love with it when my bow crossed to the G string and it was still so warm and dark.

9. ahh, interesting. I'll have to check out the new version of the Kolsteins, maybe I'll like them better. Although, I can't say as I have much use for a hybrid string these days...

10. oh, and I bet that gagliano is an amazing instrument. I too would love to see any other pics or hear about its history, etc. I'm a bass junky! :D

11. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The original Flatchrome is the same thing as the Original Flexocor (they produce one string, and those who match a closer tolerance range are labeled Original Flatchrome and sold a little higher price) so you can remove it from your list.
    The (new) Flexocor A that's most similar to the Original is the thick gauge, IMO, but it has more sustain and speaks clearer. I don't know about its "bowability" though.

12. Gagliano

Gagliano

Aug 6, 2003
    Lynnfield MA
    Okay, I ordered a Varicor, a thick Flexocor, and a Flatchrome. I'll report back on my findings - thanks a million - what a great community of bass freaks!

13. Gagliano

Gagliano

Aug 6, 2003
    Lynnfield MA
    No, you're absolutely right. I will be trying out a Schertler Dyn-B within the next week, and if that doesn't work out my plan is to finally convert my bridge to an adjustable to try out a Fishman Full Circle. Better late than never.

14. Gagliano

Gagliano

Aug 6, 2003
    Lynnfield MA
    Mostly theater pits. These shows often require both a classical bowed approach (my strength) and a jazzy pizz, often within the same show. That's why I'm trying to set up my one bass to be able to bow wonderfully and robustly but also have some jazzy presence.
    I suppose mics are best when going out to a house mixer, but when I'm going to my own local speakers (my usual situation), I think feedback is too much of a problem.

15. Gagliano

Gagliano

Aug 6, 2003
    Lynnfield MA
    Well I eventually ended up trying an Innovation 140B and a Varicor for my A-string testing. Both of these strings were pretty close to what I was looking for - both were very good bowing strings but a bit more lively pizz than Orig Flexocors. I have concluded that the Varicor is slightly better than the Innovation in both bowing and pizz categories - the bowing is close enough to Orig Flexocors to make me happy. And it seems to mate pretty well with the Obligato G & D which are currently on the bass. I'm going to order a Varicor E and probably a D as well.
    I really want to try out an Oliv G also - I would welcome any opinions as to how an Oliv G would get along with Varicor lower strings??
    Francois, thanx for steering me to the Varicors!

16. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    My pleasure!
    My reward is when someone is happy, like you!
    :)